Student Records :: Credit for Prior Learning
Experiential Learning/Work Experience Credit
Virginia Western Community College recognizes that college-level learning occurs in settings other than the traditional classroom and, therefore, may grant credit to students who can demonstrate the academic merit of such experiences.
A student may be eligible for previous completion/experiential learning credit when the student’s educational or occupational background or life experience closely parallels those experiences and objectives required by a college course. Credit is awarded only for documented learning that is equivalent to specific subjects at the college and is considered sufficient in content and length to warrant consideration for credit. It is the student’s responsibility to provide proper documentation of experiences to be considered for credit.
For consideration of experiential learning credit, the following apply:
- The student must be enrolled in a program of study at the college;
- A student may not fail or audit a course at the college and later receive credit for the same course through a previous completion/ experiential learning option;
- A grade of "T" will be assigned if previous completion/experiential learning credit is awarded. This grade will not be counted toward the student's cumulative GPA.
- Credit earned through previous completion/experiential learning may not be used to meet the residency requirement for graduation;
- A maximum of 25 percent of credit toward graduation will be allowed for experiential learning;
- Virginia Western reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned from non-traditional, academic sources. With some exceptions, this credit is not guaranteed. Specific licenses, certifications, and specialized training that have been pre-assessed by the college (i.e., police academies, firefighter experience, CPS) are provided with the submittal of the certification alone;
- The applicability of previous completion/experiential learning credit toward specific degree program requirements is subject to the advisor, division dean, and the registrar’s approval.
If you are interested in receiving credit for previous completion/experiential learning, please submit the following paperwork, along with the appropriate documentation, to your advisor or to the school dean that is responsible for the course.
If you are interested in receiving credit for previous completion/experiential learning, please submit the Credit for Prior Learning Application - Previous Completion/Experiential Learning form (PDF), along with the appropriate documentation, to your advisor or to the school dean that is responsible for the course. These forms are available in the college academic offices and the Records Office.
Credit for Prior Learning Specialist
Location: Chapman Hall C107
3094 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015