Virginia Western Community College’s Workforce Solutions is offering three informational technology (IT) courses this fall to help individuals seeking to begin a new career or advance in the field. Fall classes include: IT Fundamentals and Pathways, A+ Computer Support & Repair (CompTIA A+) and CompTIA Network+. Workforce Solutions offers help with educational and career planning as well as information on available financial assistance. Please contact Workforce Solutions at (540) 857-6076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acquiring an internationally recognized credential is one of the fastest ways to demonstrate to employers that you have marketable IT knowledge and skills. Gain job opportunities and the potential to earn a higher salary.
FALL 2018 VIRGINIA WESTERN WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS IT COURSES:
IT Fundamentals and Pathways
Start here if you are considering a career in IT or seeking a broader understanding of IT. This course will provide you with the fundamental technical knowledge about personal computers that you need to work efficiently or determine your next career move. IT Fundamentals is the stepping stone to and recommended prerequisite for CompTIA A+.
• Identify computer components, applications, and operating systems
• Install software & troubleshoot common issues
• Establish a secure network
• Identify security issues and threats
Fall 2018 schedule: September 5-26; Mondays & Wednesdays; 5:30-9:30 p.m.
A+ Computer Support & Repair (CompTIA A+)
The CompTIA A+ certification is the industry preferred credential for entry-level IT positions. This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to enter the technical support and IT operations field and prepare for the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
• Identify components of computers and mobile devices
• Assemble a desktop computer and configure a network
• Install, configure, and troubleshoot programs and operating systems
• Identify security threats/vulnerabilities and implement controls
• Manage and support system components and mobile devices
Fall 2018 schedule: October 3-December 12; Mondays & Wednesdays; 6-10 p.m.
Build on your CompTIA A+ with CompTIA Network +. This course will equip you with the fundamental skills and concepts that you will need to use on the job in any type of networking career and prepare you for the CompTIA Network + certification exam.
• Identify major network concepts, implementations, and services
• Configure, troubleshoot, and manage a network
• Implement routing technologies and protocols
• Identify the components used in cloud computing and virtualization
• Prevent and respond to network security breaches
Fall 2018 schedule: November 10-December 8; Saturdays; 8 a.m.-5 p.m.