Next week is National Library Week, and Brown Library has a few things cooked up in order to celebrate.
- Six Word Memoirs: Write your life in six words, and be eligible to win a “Writer’s Gift Basket!” Examples can be found here: Six-Word Memoirs: Life Stories Distilled on NPR. Enter to win online, or pick up a paper entry form in the library (one student and one faculty/staff winner).
- Library Find-a-Word, main floor
- Special Displays on the Writing Life, top floor
- Library Tip of the Day, direct to you by email!
We’ll also have a table at Spring Fling on Friday, April 20th, where you’ll be able to create your own Newspaper Poems as well!
Drum roll, please… the two winners of the “Ode to the Brown Library” Poetry Contest!
- Student Winner: Tiffany Sparks with her poem, “Books and Libraries”
- Faculty/Staff Winner: Pam Woody with her poem, “A Journey with a Friend”
Both winning poems, along with a selection of the other submitted entries, will be displayed on the top floor of the library throughout the month of May.
And now… the winners of the three blank books, raffled off at this year’s Spring Fling, are:
- Laura Freeman
- Amy Harris
- Ashleigh Staeman
Congratulations to all our winners, and thank you to everyone who participated! We look forward to seeing you in the library and at next year’s Spring Fling.
Got poetic chops? Like to improvise spoken word or jazz poetry? Then enter the “Ode to the Library” contest!
We challenge you to write a poem dedicated either to our Brown Library or to the spirit of libraries in general. Your poem could be a romantic sonnet, an ode, haiku, limerick, or villanelle——jazz poetry, free verse, or spoken word. You can dedicate your poem to the libraries of the past or contemplate the libraries of the future. You decide!
Poems should be turned in to the Brown Library staff any time before April 22nd or at the library’s Spring Fling booth. Two winners (a student winner and a faculty/staff winner) will be chosen and awarded gift cards to Barnes & Noble.
April is National Poetry Month, and April 10-16 is National Library Week.