Kevin Sharpe work for Upper Deck
Get ready! Comic-Con 2014 comes to New River Community College in Dublin on Nov. 1, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. The college library is promoting reading, creativity and the fun of comic books, and participants are invited to dress as a favorite comic book, sci-fi, fantasy or horror character. Children can wear Halloween costumes.
The event will feature deals and celebrity guests, including Tiffany Trent, who lives in the New River Valley and is author of the young adult fantasy “Hallowmere” series among other works. Also on hand will be Kevin Sharpe, Marvel/DC comic book artist and penciller and Upper Deck sketch and trading card illustrator. He also lives in the New River Valley. Displays will include ones for the 75th anniversary of Batman and Marvel Comic.
The guests and dealers will be in Edwards Hall, Room 117. Exhibitions, displays and demonstrations will be held in the Student Lounge in Martin Hall.
For more information, visit http://www.nr.edu/comic-con
A chill is in the air. The leaves are dressed in orange and gold. As we turn our clocks back and gain an hour, what better way to spend your extra time than to read?
The Brown Library staff encourages you to settle into the season by curling up with a good book. Here are some suggestions from our collection:
- The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, call number PS3554.I33 Z63 2005
- Hip Hop Matters: Politics, Pop Culture, and the Struggle for the Soul of a Movement by S. Craig Watkins, call number ML3531.W38 2005
- American History and Contemporary Hollywood Film by Trevor B. McCrisken and Andrew Pepper, call number PN1995.9.H5 M43 2005
- Games of Terror: Halloween, Friday the 13th, and the Films of the Stalker Cycle by Vera Dika, call number PN1995.9.H6 D48 1990
- The Extreme Future: The Top Trends That Will Reshape the World for the Next 5, 10, and 20 Years by James Canton, call number CB161.C355 2006
- Why Life Speeds Up as You Get Older: How Memory Shapes Our Past by Douwe Draaisma; translated by Arnold and Erica Pomerans, call number BF378.A87 D7313 2004
- On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan, call number PR6063.C4 O6 2007
- In the Devil’s Snare: The Salem Witchcraft Crisis of 1692 by Mary Beth Norton, call number BF1575.N67 2002