I just discovered the Awful Library Books blog today, and I think it’s going to be a guilty pleasure. We remove books from our shelves, a process librarians call weeding, that are no longer helpful to Virginia Western students (the same thing happens with e-books and articles in databases). Time can make some of these titles seem very silly. Take a look at favorite weeded titles from librarians across the country.
This short, funny clip is from one of the funniest library movies ever–Party Girl, starring Parker Posey. It has everything from romance to jail time, multi-colored tights and illegal parties, and, of course, the transformational life experience of working in a library.
10. I’d love to be a librarian because libraries are so quiet.
9. I thought about becoming a librarian, but I need enough income to support myself.
8. You need a graduate degree for that?
7. I thought the Internet put libraries out of business.
6. Don’t you have enough college degrees now?
5. I think it’s wonderful that you can pursue a hobby like that.
4. You have to go to college for that?
3. I don’t see much purpose to libraries; I buy all my books at Costco.
2. I’d love to be a librarian because I’d love to read at work.
1. You have to go to school for that?
——Jane G. Gresham, School of Information Resources & Library Science, University of Arizona, Tucson