Welcome back to campus! We’ve been busy this summer updating our website and policies.
- You’ll notice some changes on our website. We recently migrated to a new version of InfoGuides. Click on the InfoGuides link in the left sidebar of our homepage to check out the fresh new look.
- Our Database list has also been updated. You can search for your favorite database, sort by alphabetical order, or browse databases by subject area. Check out the changes under the Find Articles link in the left sidebar of our homepage.
- Thanks to your feedback, we’ve changed our food policy. We will now allow snacks and drinks in the library. Please be courteous, clean up after yourselves, and let us know if you need help dealing with a spill.
- A photo ID is required to borrow library materials. You can obtain a Student ID in the Student Life Center, which gets you access to other stuff on campus, too. Or we can use another form of valid ID.
Remember, some things never change. Our floor is still a silent study space, perfect for concentrating on homework or doing research. Your friendly library staff members are still here to answer your questions and help you find sources. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by and say hi in person! We are here 8am-8pm Monday through Thursday, 8am-5pm Friday, and 9am-1pm Saturday throughout the semester.
Our own Marci Myers, Library Specialist, was one of the presenters at the annual New Horizons conference held here at Hotel Roanoke this week. Thank you to the Virginia Western community for helping Marci gather information about the new QuickSearch library tool to share with the rest of Virginia Community College System.
The Brown Library will hold three orientation sessions for our distance learning students. Orientation sessions are held in the library’s classroom and typically last thirty minutes.
- Wednesday, January 27 at 6:00pm
- Friday, January 29 at 2:30pm
- Saturday, January 30 at 10:30am
Seating is limited, so please R.S.V.P. by email or phone to Lynn Hurt, 540-857-6445, and let her know which day you’d like to attend.
You may also request a copy of the Library Handbook from Ms. Hurt. This manual is a guide to library resources and services. It gives general information about the library, explains how to use our most popular databases, and shows how to cite sources.
Brown Library provides orientation each semester for distance learning students, for students taking classes on campus and at off-site locations, and for anyone who is interested in learning more about the library’s services and resources.
Library orientations for the 2009 Fall semester will be held at the following times:
Orientation sessions are held in the library’s classroom and typically last thirty minutes. Seating is limited to 25 people, so please register in advance by contacting Lynn Hurt at 540-857-6445.
Also, you may request from Ms. Hurt a copy of the Library Handbook. This manual is a guide to library resources and services. It gives general information about the library, explains how to use our most popular databases, and shows how to cite sources.