February 12th is the VWCC Kickoff, steps of the Brown Library, 10am-12noon!!
Come learn about Roanoke’s literary event, The Big Read, and what Virginia Western is doing to celebrate it! Free books to the first 50 students! Refreshments provided.
The Big Read is a national reading program that is being billed as “The Roanoke Valley’s Biggest Literary Event Ever!”
- Get a copy of the book from your favorite library or bookstore (several local bookstores are offering discounts). Brown Library has two copies on reserve for you to check out at the Circulation desk.
- Read the book before March 1.
- Participate in the local and on-campus events described here and at bigreadroanokevalley.org.
- Everyone is also encouraged to “Get Caught Reading.” Get a picture of yourself with the book and submit it here.
Several on-campus activities have been planned especially for our students!
- February 12th is the VWCC Kickoff, Brown Library, 10:00 a.m!! Brown Library and Student Activities will introduce The Big Read at this general information session for students and the Virginia Western community. Free books to the first 50 students!
- March 16th is the Justice Club’s Panel Discussion, Natural Science Center, 7:00 p.m. Topic of discussion: “The Ultimate Sanction: A Commentary on the Administration of Justice in A Lesson Before Dying”
- March 31st, Jazz Poetry in the Student Commons, 1:00 p.m. Live jazz complements the reading and recitation of spoken word and poetry based on themes from A Lesson Before Dying.