The mission of the Learning Resources group is to promote student success by offering the most effective resources for teaching and learning to our students, faculty, and staff through a comprehensive set of services including testing, learning assistance/tutoring, library services, online learning, instructional design, and educational technology.
Brown Library is your one-stop location for a variety of services tailored to helping you achieve academic success. Throughout Brown Library, you will find spaces to study, computers, printers, rooms you can reserve for group work, and helpful staff members who can answer your questions. A snack machine is available on the ground floor and drink machines are located on both the ground floor and the first floor.
The Academic Link Resource Desk is located on the first floor. The Link offers a variety of learning assistance services including one-on-one/group tutoring; walk-in assistance in the STEM Center , the Writing & Research Help Center , and the open computer labs ; online tutoring; and academic success coaching. These services are available to all Virginia Western students at no cost. For information about how to take advantage of these services, please contact the Academic Link at 540-857-6442, email or visit the Academic Link website.
The Academic Success/Smart Moves Infoguide provides great resources to help students achieve academic success and to successfully transition from high school to college.
Research & Checkouts
Visit the library to study in a quiet space; browse magazines & newspapers; check out books, reserves textbooks, anatomy models, & DVDs; ask writing & research questions; and find out how to use online databases to find sources for your papers or projects. For hours of operation and other information, please visit the Library website or email .
The Testing Center administers placement tests, make-up tests, online tests, and other proctored tests. When students come for testing they will need to present a photo ID and Virginia Western student ID number. For additional information, please visit the Testing Center website or email .
TRiO Student Support Services, or TRiO Pathways at Virginia Western Community College (VWCC), is an educational grant funded by the Department of Education (DOE). TRiO Pathways offers 250 eligible VWCC students additional support to achieve academic success, including instructional support services, advising, and counseling.
- Assist faculty in the application of research-based instructional design principles to ensure that appropriate learning outcomes are achieved.
- Promote the use of technology and best practices in enhancing teaching and learning.
- Examine emerging technologies that may lead to improvements in teaching and learning.
- Encourage faculty participation in distance learning initiatives and provide assistance and support in the development of courses and the use of appropriate learning technologies.
- Provide faculty development opportunities to enable faculty to work more effectively with technology in an eLearning environment.
The Media Geeks provide instructional technology services for the Virginia Western campus community including the following:
- Providing instructional media design and delivery
- Designing, deploying and supporting classroom technology
- Supporting the lecture capture system, Panopto
- Recording and live streaming video for special events and presentations around the college and providing sound and lighting assistance for same
- Researching, promoting and supporting innovation in technology used for teaching and learning
Online Learning & Instructional Technology
The mission of the Department of Online Learning and Instructional Technology (OLIT) is to support and empower faculty, staff, and students in their use of instructional strategies and technologies that promote effective learning outcomes in online, hybrid, and technology-enhanced learning environments.