In response to the growing impact COVID-19 is having on our workplace and the reality that many of us may be working from alternate locations, the IET team has put together the following suggestions to help minimize disruptions while working remotely.
If you have a laptop, please make sure you are undocking the device and bringing it to and from your office every day. Should we suddenly have to work off-campus, you may not be able to retrieve your laptop if it was left in your office.
- Important: Be sure to check your Zoom client is at least at v 5.0 or the sessions will not work. You can update it from the link on your MyVWCC Zoom page using the Download Client link at the bottom of the page.
- Is it up? Check the VCCS Outage page for notices. In some cases you might be able to bypass the MyVWCC login and go directly to some of the resources from here.
- Click here to take a free 10-minute course – Securing Your Work at Home
- Manage Inappropriate behavior in Zoom
- FBI PSA on COVID-19 Telework Vulnerabilities
Take These Steps Now
- Test Your VDI using one of the three options below:
Off-campus with 2Factor
Note: If you are still using https://secure.virginiawestern.edu and the Symantec VIP app for VDI access, please be aware that it will be shutdown by end-July. Please contact the Help Desk to schedule the transition to this site (https://remote.virginiawestern.edu).
Off-Campus without 2Factor
Note: This site will be shutdown by end-July to enhance security and enforce 2Factor access for all VDI logins. If you haven’t already been set up for 2Factor, you can use this link for now, but you have to schedule your transition to 2Factor immediately by contacting the Help Desk.
- Log into ZOOM with your myVWCC credentials.
- Log into Outlook Online with your VWCC credentials.
- Setup Call Forwarding for your phone on the web. You must be on campus or on a VDI for this link to work. The format for the number you are forwarding to is 915409990101 (91 + 10-digit phone number).
- Bring your VWCC issued laptop to work to make sure it is patched and updated, and be sure to take it home every day.
- Contact the Help Desk if you don’t have VDI access.
- Keep your germs at home, share your contact info with your team!
How to Work From Home
Useful links and documentation
- Outlook web email, OneDrive, Teams
- Download MS Office Software
- SIS, HR, Canvas, and Enterprise apps
- Zoom – Use your mic and camera
- Forward your telephone from on-campus or your VDI
- Google Hangouts/Meet – Video/Chat (use your myVWCC credentials)
- IET Services Page
Don’t Have a Laptop?
Don’t have a laptop? You can use your personal computer, tablet/iPad (or even your phone) for e-mail, Teams, Zoom, OneDrive, Gmail, Google Drive, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Chrome River, Canvas and more! Use Microsoft Teams or Google Hangouts for chat/IM. You can use your VDI to access your shared drives.