- Financial Aid Home
- How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Net Price Calculator
- Dates & Deadlines
- Summer Awarding
- Types of Aid
- About Your Financial Aid Award
- Forms Library
- Charging Textbooks
- Policies & Conditions
- Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Student Consumer Info
- Financial Aid Course Eligibility (Video)
Summer 2021 Financial Aid Information
May 24, 2021 – Classes Begin
Students must have a 2020-2021 aid year FAFSA on file with Virginia Western Community College in order to be reviewed for summer 2021 financial aid eligibility. Summer Pell Grant awards depend upon an individual student's Pell grant usage in the fall 2020 and spring 2021 semesters. Summer awards of state-funded financial aid depend upon state funding availability.
Eligible students will be awarded prior to the summer tuition deadline date. Eligible students will receive a financial aid award notification by college email once awarded.
Summer Pell Grant Eligibility (students with full-time enrollment status for the current fall and spring semesters)
- A student who used all of his/her full Pell Grant award for the current fall and spring semesters may be eligible for an additional Pell Grant Award for the upcoming summer semester.
- To receive an additional Pell Grant Award for the summer semester, an eligible student must maintain enrollment in at least 6 credits.
- A student who receives an additional summer Pell Grant under this rule and who does not maintain enrollment in at least 6 credits, will lose the full amount of the award and likely will have to repay the college.
- If eligible, the VWCC Financial Aid Office will award your eligible summer amount based on full-time enrollment – the award will be adjusted based on your actual enrollment status.
- Check Anticipated Aid in Account Inquiry on the Student Center Page in SIS to see how your enrollment status affects your summer award.
Summer Pell Grant Eligibility (students with part-time enrollment status for the current fall and/or spring semesters)
- A student who used part of his/her Pell Grant for the current fall and/or spring semester(s) may have remaining Pell Grant eligibility for the upcoming summer semester.
- Additionally, a student in this situation may be eligible for an additional Pell Grant award if a student is enrolled in 6 or more credits.
- If eligible, the VWCC Financial Aid Office will award your eligible summer amount based on full-time enrollment - the award will be adjusted based on your actual enrollment status.
- Check Anticipated Aid in Account Inquiry on the Student Center Page in SIS to see how your enrollment status will affect your summer award.
State Grant Funds Eligibility
State financial aid funds will apply to eligible, in state, students that are enrolled and plan to attend summer semester. Eligible students must be enrolled and attend six financial aid eligible credits. If a student drops to less than six financial aid eligible credits, then the student may need arrange to pay for summer courses. State funds are limited in the summer and may not be awarded to all students.
Additional Information for State Aid:
- There are limited state funds available to students that will be attending less than 6 credits, and those will be awarded to students based on registered credits.
- Books, supplies, and additional courses will need to be paid by the student out-of-pocket or using other resources.
- State aid is awarded to students with 'In State' residency status.
- Virginia Commonwealth Grant (COMA) awards assist with covering tuition and fees for participation in six financial aid eligible credits of enrollment.
- If you have been awarded COMA funds and you do not register for and maintain enrollment in 6 or more credits towards your program at VWCC, your award will be cancelled, and you will have to pay out of pocket for any remaining credits.
Direct and PLUS Loan Eligibility
A student who wishes to request a Direct Student Loan or a parent who wishes to request a Direct PLUS loan for the summer semester must complete and submit either the Direct Student Loan Request Form (PDF) or the Direct PLUS Loan Request Form (PDF). First-time Direct Student Loan or Direct PLUS Loan borrowers need to complete the required Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling at https://studentloans.gov.
Important Dates for Summer 2021
First day to enroll in summer 2021 classes
Completed loan request form for 2021 summer due to the Financial Aid Office for Priority Loan Processing. (Note: Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note must also be completed for new VWCC borrowers.)
Summer 2021 tuition payment deadline for early registration. After May 19th, 2021 payment will be due at the time of registration.
First day of the 10-week class session and first 5-week class session.
May 19th - June 4th
Bookstore charge dates for the entire semester.
Your Summer awards will be cancelled if you have not registered for any class(es), including the second 5-week summer session.
Refer to the Academic Calendar for additional important dates.
After your financial aid eligibility has been determined, you can view your award on the VW website www.virginiawestern.edu by logging in to your MyVWCC account. If your financial aid award is not sufficient to cover your tuition and fees, you will need to make a payment online via your MY VWCC account or in person to the Cashier's window located in Fishburn Hall, top floor.
If you are going to attend 6 or more financial aid eligible credits in the summer, you may wish to submit a Direct Loan Request Form if the grant funds that you have been awarded are not sufficient. Your Federal Direct Stafford loan request must be submitted by May 7th, in order to have the anticipated loan apply toward your tuition charges.
- Students who have borrowed the maximum annual loan limits during fall and spring semesters will have no remaining loan eligibility for summer semester.
- All awards are contingent upon your continued compliance with the institution's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. If you are awarded financial aid in the summer, but fail to meet the college's SAP standards after the current spring semester, your financial aid award for summer will be cancelled.
- Please continue to monitor your Virginia Western email account and the Message Center and To Do list, located in the Student Center of SIS, for communications from the Financial Aid Office.