Register for Dual Enrollment
Students should discuss with their guidance department their interest in registering for a dual enrollment class. Before you can enroll in any classes, you must apply to Virginia Western and complete the Virginia Placement Testing in Mathematics and English.
Apply to Virginia Western
Please take a few moments to review the VCCS Application Tutorial (PDF)
When you are ready, click the APPLY NOW button at the top of the webpage to begin the application. You will need to have access to your e-mail when you apply, as a verification code will be sent to you.
If you have previously applied to VWCC for summer programs or previous dual enrollment classes, you will need to know your VWCC Student ID Number (Emplid). If you do not know it, or your account has become inactive, you can look it up here.
After You Apply
1. Student Identification
When you have completed the application, you will be e-mailed your VWCC Student ID Number (Emplid), MyVWCC log-in information and temporary password.
- Write this down and put it in a safe place.
- You will need this information to register for classes, take placement tests, obtain your transcript, or any other communication with the college.
- It is very important that you keep your VWCC EMPLID number ALWAYS.
2. Virginia Placement Testing
As a high school aged student you need to demonstrate college readiness before you can enroll in any classes. To do that, you will need to take the Virginia Placement Testing (VPT) in English and Mathematics
- Your test scores will determine what classes you are eligible to enroll in.
- SAT, ACT, PSAT and the Algebra SOL may have benchmark scores that you can substitute for the VPT. Review the chart here for Admission score requirements. If you want to use an alternative score, you need to contact your high school guidance department. The high school will send that information to the college. Not all classes can use the alternative scores. For those, you will need to take the VPT.
- To complete the VPT, you must have your VWCC EMPLID number and photo ID when you come to the testing center.
- It is helpful to have this VPT Admit Form (PDF) with you.
Please complete these forms and submit them to your high school dual enrollment counselor to be picked up by the college, or send them directly to the college.
- Under 18 Signature Form (PDF)
Students in 9th or 10th grade:
All Students taking classes on the VWCC Campus:
Register for Dual Enrollment Classes
High school student class registration is submitted through your high school guidance department. First, you must apply to Virginia Western (see above). After you apply:
- Discuss with your guidance department which class(es) you wish to register for.
- Complete Virginia Placement Testing. This must be completed before you can register.
- Provide your testing results and your Student ID Number (Emplid) to your high school guidance department.
The high school guidance department will then submit the enrollment request to the college.
Dr. Kathryn H. Beard
Dual Enrollment Coordinator
Location: Fishburn Hall F125C
Dual Enrollment Specialist
3093 Colonial Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24015