Skip to main content

Summer registration is open! View the Class Schedule. (Campus & Bookstore open by appointment only)
Class Schedule | Advising & Financial Aid Appointments | Class of 2021 - Click Here for Graduation Info

Register Now for Classes


Dual Enrollment

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to read the answer!

>> What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual enrollment gives high school and home schooled students the opportunity to earn college credits while meeting the requirements for high school graduation.

College credits earned at VWCC may, depending on the course:

  • meet the high school's graduation requirements.
  • be applied towards graduation at VWCC.
  • be transferred to another college or university.
  • provide introductory instruction that will help the student better succeed in degree programs.
  • help the student better prepare for entry-level workforce positions directly from high school, or with the completion of a career studies certificate.

>> Eligibility (High School & Home-School Students)

Any high school student who is a junior or senior and resides in the college's service area is eligible to participate in the dual enrollment program offered by his/her local high school. In some instances, students who are not yet juniors or seniors may register for dual enrollment classes with special permission. This request will need to be approved by the VWCC department head or Dual Enrollment Coordinator and by the College President prior to course registration.

Students must:

  • have their parent's permission.
  • have their guidance counselor's or school administrator's permission to enroll in any dual courses taught at the high school, or in any on-campus courses for which they would like to receive concurrent high school credit from the school division.
  • complete the entire application process.
  • successfully complete the Virginia Placement Testing (VPT) required for admission to the college.
  • successfully satisfy all pre-requisites that may be required for specific courses before they can be accepted into the dual-enrolled class (check the college catalog for course information).

Dual Enrollment students should earn a "C" or better in their class to progress to a sequential course in that content area. This is to ensure college readiness for the student. Poor success in dual enrollment classes could result in a loss of future college financial aid, the inability to participate in programs like CCAP based on low GPAs and may limit the acceptance and course transferability of the class to other colleges.

Acceptance of AP, IB, CLEP, or Industry Credentialing Examinations for pre-requisite requirements is at the discretion of the VWCC program dean or VWCC curriculum department head.

Home-Schooled Students

Home-schooled students must provide a copy of a home-school agreement approved by the school district or a letter from the local school board or a copy of the letter filed by the parent/legal guardian declaring home-school for religious exemption. Documentation of parental permission is required for all home-schooled dual enrollment students.

Home-schooled students who are under 18 years of age, and who wish to take a college class or classes on the VWCC campus, will need to call the Enrollment Center at 855-874-6690 and indicate that they are home-schooled and request information concerning admission and registration for classes.

Home-schooled students must successfully complete the Virginia Placement Testing (VPT) required for admission to the college and satisfy all course pre-requisites.

>> Fees & Refunds

Tuition for dual enrollment classes offered at the high school is negotiated with school districts based on VCCS guidelines and may offer significant savings to the student. Participation in a dual enrollment class is a voluntary option for students. Local school systems might choose to determine if fees are appropriate for instructional materials beyond those used in the non-dual equivalent class. These fees are determined by each local school system and not by Virginia Western. Fees and tuition are paid to the school division and not to VWCC and may vary from one school system to another.

Full VWCC tuition will be charged to students who would like to enroll in the VWCC Academy or in a VWCC class, taught on our campus (or satellite campus) or online by VWCC faculty. High school credit for these classes would be at the discretion of the school district.


Refunds for tuition paid directly to VWCC by students who choose to drop or withdraw from a class will follow VWCC policy guidelines.

Refund requests for tuition or fees paid to the school division for dual enrollment classes are at the discretion of the school division. Each school system has its own refund policy for students who drop dual enrolled classes. Check with the school's guidance personnel concerning refunds.

>> Financial Aid

Students who are still attending high school are not eligible for any financial aid programs offered through the college.

Some school systems may offer some form of financial assistance to students who wish to take dual enrollment courses. Check with your high school guidance counselor to determine if financial assistance is available through your school system for dual enrolled classes.

>> Student Guidelines

To participate in dual enrollment classes at the high school or on campus, students must:

  • Complete the on-line Application
  • Complete the Virginia Placement Testing in Math and English
  • Submit the following documentation:
    • “Under 18 Permission Form” - required
    • Information Release Form (FERPA) – optional
    • Application for in-State Tuition – required
    • Dual Enrollment HB1184 Declaration of Intent Form – (for students that want to earn an Associates or General Education Certificate while in high school) – optional
    • Other forms as needed

Calendar Guidelines
During the high school registration period (early spring)

  • Discuss with parents and school counselor interest in dual enrollment classes for the next school year
  • Complete the VWCC Application
  • Complete the Virginia Placement Testing in Math and English or ask your high school guidance department to submit alternative test scores (PSAT, SAT, ACT, SOL) to verify that you have met the admission requirements for the college
  • Review the VWCC on-line college catalog for the course descriptions and learning outcomes for your dual enrollment class

Prior to starting your dual class

  • Practice logging into your MyVWCC student portal to learn how to confirm your class enrollment, order transcripts, apply for graduation, etc. Click here for help
  • Review the resources (tutoring, library, etc.) that are available to you (found on the VWCC website and links should be posted on the class syllabus)
  • Review the Student Services available to you through the college
  • Review the Student Conduct policies for the college

Adding, Dropping or Withdrawing from a VWCC Dual Enrollment Class

  • For classes at the high school, only the guidance department can request an “add’, “drop” or “withdraw” for the student. Discuss your needs with them.
  • DROPPING a class must be done by the date on the dual calendar, or you will not receive a refund for tuition.
  • After the drop date, you can WITHDRAW from the college portion of the dual class, but you will not receive a refund, and a “W” will appear on your official college transcript.

Common Assessments and Final Exams

  • All dual enrollment students must complete a final exam or assessment for the course
  • Some classes may be asked to submit a “common assessment” to the college as a way of demonstrating that the course content and student work expectations are on par with college rigor and expectations. These work samples will not be returned to the student

Course Evaluations

  • All VWCC students are asked to complete the on-line “Student Evaluation”

At the End of the Grading Portal (see calendar)

  • Log into your MyVWCC student account and review your unofficial transcript for grade accuracy. Grade disputes must be made within 1 week of grade posting.
  • If you are transferring to another college, order transcripts through your MyVWCC portal


  • Watch the VWCC for information about the spring graduation ceremony
  • Students must adhere to the dates noted on the website, or they will not be able to participate

>> Teacher Credentials

All high school teachers who are dual enrollment instructors have been fully credentialed by Virginia Western Community College in compliance with the regulations and criteria established by the VCCS.

In addition, once a high school teacher is credentialed as a dual enrollment instructor, he or she has met the credentialing requirements to serve as an adjunct faculty member for Virginia Western Community College. This credentialing process insures that all dual enrollment instructors meet the necessary criteria for not only teaching dual enrolled college-level courses at their home school but, also, should the occasion arise, be eligible to teach on-campus classes for the college.

>> Transferability of Course Credits

Unlike advanced placement and international baccalaureate programs, dual enrollment classes carry college credit and are not dependent on a particular score on a standardized testing instrument before a college will grant credit for the various courses taken in these programs. Students who elect college-level dual enrollment transfer courses should experience little difficulty in transferring these credits to four-year colleges and universities after they graduate from high school. Verification of transfer credits is the responsibility of the student and should be reviewed with the admission office of the college to which they choose to attend. Articulation agreements between VWCC and four year colleges are for degree programs, not specific individual classes.

An approved list of VWCC transfer courses can be found here.

Information about articulation agreements and transfer policies between VWCC and Virginia colleges can be found here.

Information about transferring course credits to other Virginia colleges can be found here.

>> Taking Classes on Campus

Students who are still attending a local high school and who wish to take a college class on the VWCC campus need to have permission from their parents and their school principal or counselor. The principal or school counselor needs to complete the Virginia Western Community College High School/Home-School Enrollment Procedures Form (PDF). The form will need to be presented to the VWCC Enrollment Center before they will be allowed to register for on-campus classes. Registration for classes must be completed in the Enrollment Center.

Classes taken on campus will carry the full cost of the class at the current rate of tuition. Students are responsible for the cost of the class(es) and not the local school system. Local school divisions will determine if classes taken on the VWCC campus can be transferred back to the high school in order to complete certain graduation requirements.

>> What time does my class meet?

If the class has a room number assigned, then it is on-campus at that time. Most likely this would be the lab portion of the class.

If the class has a time assigned, but no room number, then it is on-line, at the specific time via zoom. This is a synchronous class. The student and instructor are on-line at the same time.

If the class has no time, and no room number, but instead says "TBA" then it is offered on -line with no set meeting time. This is an asynchronous class which allows the student to work on their own time, basically 24/7.

For all classes, check the syllabus or CANVAS information regarding assignment due dates.

>> Why take dual enrollment courses?

Studies show that students who acquire college credits while in high school are more likely to graduate and continue their education beyond high school.

You can reduce the time and cost of a post-secondary education by taking some courses through a community college.

You will gain confidence in your ability to do college work and it may be easier to start classes on a college campus when you graduate from high school.

>> What are the benefits of dual enrollment?

  • High school and college credit are earned at the same time.
  • Dual enrollment courses taught in the high school introduce students to the rigor of college-level work.
  • Dual enrollment can save time and tuition, providing affordable college credit for high school students.
  • Dual enrollment entitles students access to VWCC campus resources.
  • High school students may have the opportunity to complete their General Studies Associates Degree or General Education Certificate concurrent with high school graduation.
  • College credit may be transferable to most Virginia colleges and to other public colleges and universities.

>> Is dual enrollment right for everyone?

No. Dual enrollment is an opportunity to take challenging courses and begin a college education. However, students should be mature enough to accept the rigor and responsibilities of college level work.

Dual enrollment courses become a part of a student's permanent college transcript and are calculated into the student's permanent postsecondary GPA . This will impact eligibility for financial aid and admission to other postsecondary institutions.

The amount of work necessary to succeed in college level courses may be much greater than in high school courses. Students need to consider future plans when deciding if dual enrollment is right for their situation. Poor performance as a dual enrollment student can ultimately impact one's postsecondary career, including academic standing and financial aid eligibility. Poor performance in dual enrollment can also impact other VWCC program eligibility, like CCAP.

>> How can I be eligible for dual enrollment?

Eligibility information can be found on the About Dual Enrollment page.

>> What kind of dual enrollment opportunities are there?

In-School Dual Enrollment

In-school dual enrollment courses are taught at the high school by college credentialed faculty. Dual enrollment offerings vary. Students should work with their guidance counselors and teachers to learn more about dual enrollment opportunities in their high school. (Tuition for dual enrollment classes offered at the high school is negotiated with school districts based on VCCS guidelines. Schools may choose to assess fees based on consumable materials.)

Also included are virtual courses monitored at the high school but taught by VWCC faculty. Time is allowed during the high school day for students to work in computer labs. Schools provide adult supervision. (Partial tuition rate.)

Dual Enrollment on VWCC's Campus

On-campus dual enrollment courses are taught on campus by VWCC faculty and may be open to general VWCC students. The course allows the high school or home-schooled students to enroll in college credit classes that may also be accepted for high school graduation requirements. Prior approval from the school division is required and students must submit the High School/Home-School Enrollment Approval Form (PDF) prior to registering for a class.

On-line (virtual) courses are taught by VWCC faculty and may be open to general VWCC students. The course allows the high school or home-schooled students to enroll in college credit classes that may also be accepted for high school graduation requirements. Prior approval from the school division is required and students must submit the High School/Home-School Enrollment Approval Form (PDF) prior to registering for a class. On-line classes require that the student be self-motivated and self-directed.

Concurrent dual enrolled courses (on-line or on-campus) allow high school or home-schooled students to enroll in college credit classes. However, these students only receive college credit for the classes and must take the classes on the VWCC campus. No high school credit is awarded. Students must submit the High School/Home-School Enrollment Approval Form (PDF) prior to registering for a class.

On-Campus Dual Enrollment - Regional Academy

The Regional Academy offers special programs of study on campus during the high school day. Students participate in cohorts and must take all classes offered during the scheduled meeting times. High School and parental approval is required to participate. Students must follow the VWCC class schedule and calendar regardless of their high school calendar. Enrollment is limited with specific admission requirements. Applications are due by April 1st.

>> Is financial aid available for dual enrollment students?

No. College-based financial aid is not available for high school students.

>> Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?

As with other courses taken at VWCC, many credits earned through dual enrollment typically transfer to four-year colleges and universities. However, some courses and degree programs are not designed to transfer. Colleges and universities have specific policies regarding acceptance of transfer credits. You should contact the college or university you are considering to discuss the transferability of dual enrollment courses.

VWCC graduates who earn an associate of science or associate of arts degree, and who meet criteria specified by each senior institution, are guaranteed admission to more than 40 area colleges and universities including schools like George Mason University, Virginia Tech and the College of William and Mary.

Our advisors will help you to select a program of study, identify schools and understand the transfer requirements for the degree program at your school of choice. In addition, they'll let you know which VWCC courses will transfer and help you to create a schedule based on those courses.

It's never too early to begin planning for a smooth transfer to another institution. The longer you wait to make a decision, the more you risk delaying degree completion.

It is always helpful to:

  • Speak to a VWCC New Student Advisor as soon as possible to assist you with choosing your major.
  • Review all of the Guaranteed Admissions Agreements and Articulation Agreements VWCC has with several four-year colleges and universities. Note: Students must complete a transfer Associate's degree to be eligible for the benefits that the Agreement provides.
  • Investigate Transfer Guides offering your intended program.
  • Learn about general education requirements and lower-division components in the curriculum at institutions you are considering.
  • Begin looking for scholarships, discounts and other ways to meet costs. Check out opportunities through the VWCC Financial Aid office.
  • Start your math (based on your program of study), and writing (composition) sequences as early as possible, as they are common requirements across most programs.
  • Familiarize yourself with the information found in the VWCC catalog.

>> What if I have an IEP at my high school? Can I still take dual enrollment classes?

High school juniors and seniors with special needs or disabilities may participate if they earn qualifying scores on the placement tests, and are able to participate and achieve in class without modification of course work.

For more information regarding students with disabilities visit the Office of Disability Services website.

Accommodations for dual enrollment college courses, especially those offered on campus may be different than the services that high school provides. Review this chart for general guidelines.

>> How do I order my transcript?

For information on ordering your official VWCC transcripts, visit this page.

Contact Us

Dr. Kathryn H. Beard
Dual Enrollment Coordinator

Location: Fishburn Hall F125C
Phone: 540-857-7235
Fax: 540-857-6478

Kelly Albert
Dual Enrollment Specialist

Phone: 540-857-7313

Mailing Address

3093 Colonial Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24015