Skip to main content

Summer registration is open! View the Class Schedule. (Campus & Bookstore open by appointment only)
Class Schedule | Advising & Financial Aid Appointments | Class of 2021 - Click Here for Graduation Info

Register Now for Classes


Office of Disability Services

Regional Academy, High School and Home-School Students

Accommodations on a college-level may differ from accommodations in high school/home-school. While VWCC understands these are high school/home-schooled students, they are also VWCC students taking college courses, on-campus, and must be aware that accommodations may look and operate differently from their high school or home.

For example: A high school student may have an accommodation of tests read aloud and typically a person would read the test aloud to the student. In college, the accommodation will still occur; however, we utilize software programs such as JAWS or Kurzweil which allow a computer to read tests to students.

Accessing Accommodations

Regional Academy, High School and Home-Schooled students attending VWCC will need to follow the same process all VWCC students follow to access accommodations. Please note: These procedures only apply to those young students who are taking VWCC classes. Students who are taking Dual Enrollment classes through their high school will follow their IEP and will be accommodated through their high school.

Step 1: Make an appointment and provide documentation

Make an appointment with ODS and bring documentation of a disability/diagnosis. Ideally, it is important to do this as early as possible -- before classes even begin -- as academic accommodations cannot be back-dated. With regards to a learning disability, the psychoeducational testing results/scores, typically embedded within IEPs, will be sufficient. Otherwise, psychological, physical or OHI can be documented by the student's physician/clinician/specialist. Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and 504 Plans are not accepted as documentation of a disability. Please refer to our New Student Checklist & Intake Packet (PDF) and Documentation Guidelines for more information.

Step 2: Receive a Confidential Accommodation Access Plan

Students will be provided with a Confidential Accommodation Access Plan (AP). The student's AP will detail approved accommodations, based on the documentation submitted to ODS. The student will then provide this AP to each instructor/class they wish to have accommodation for. Additionally, unlike an IEP/504, which follows a student year after year, an AP must be requested and distributed, by the student, to each instructor, each semester. Please refer to Accommodation Access Plans (AP): Understanding the Process for more information.

Our Commitment

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) is committed to supporting young students and their parents/guardians/supporters in understanding and facilitating accommodations while attending VWCC. If additional information is needed, please contact:

Hillary Holland, LPC
Disability Counselor/ADA Coordinator
Student Life Center S207

Contact Us

Office of Disability Services
Location: Student Life Center S207
Phone: 540-857-7286
Fax: 540-857-7918
TTY: 540-857-6351

Mailing Address
3096 Colonial Ave, SW
Roanoke, VA 24015

Hours of Operation

Mon-Thurs: 8:00AM-5:00PM
Friday: 8:00AM-4:30PM


Hillary Holland, LPC
Disability Counselor/ADA Coordinator

Karole Passmore
Administrative Office Specialist