Skip to main content

Register for summer & fall courses now!
Class Schedule | Online Advising | Online Financial Aid

The VWCC campus is closed until further notice. Updates will be provided as soon as possible. More info.


Office of Disability Services

To Get Started

Step 1: Apply to VWCC & File for Financial Aid

Begin your application process here! You should also file for financial aid, regardless of your financial situation.

Step 2: Take Your Placement Test (VPT)

PLEASE NOTE: If you graduated high school in the last five years with a 2.7 GPA or higher, please meet with a New Student Advisor prior to placement testing.

The VPT is a computerized test composed of two separate assessments, English and math. Each test may take between 2 and 3 hours to complete.

Placement testing is required of:

  • New students who are seeking a degree or entering a program of study.
  • Students planning to receive financial aid.
  • Students entering the first semester of mathematics or English courses (including transfer students who do not have credit in mathematics or English).

Placement tests are given in the college's Testing Center and no appointment is necessary. Refer to the Testing Center website for hours of operation. More information and practice questions can be found here.

Please remember the following:
  • The VPT is untimed. Spend as much time as you need to complete either portion of the test and consider taking the mathematics portion on a different day than the English portion.
  • You may use the calculator on the computer.
  • You may enlarge the screen to fit your visual needs.

Step 3: Meet with a New Student Advisor and Register for Classes

New Student Advisors are available in Chapman Hall C105 to help individuals on a first-come, first-served basis. New students are required to see a New Student Advisor in the Advising Center while currently enrolled students should see their Faculty or Program Advisor. For more information on advising and registration, please visit the Academic Advising website.

Step 4: Connect with the Office of Disability Services

Provide Documentation

In accordance with federal law, a student requesting accommodations must provide acceptable documentation of his/her disability to the Office of Disability Services (ODS). You may mail, fax or deliver this documentation to our office. Please be sure to provide your contact information with the documentation you submit to our office. Please refer to our Documentation Guidelines for more information.

Meet with ODS Coordinator

Once your documentation is received, ODS will contact you to schedule an appointment. If you have not been contacted by our office within one week of submitting documents, please call 540-857-7286 or email us at .

Complete Paperwork

During this appointment you will complete/review the following information:

  • Confidential Intake and Accommodation Request
  • Authorization to Release Information
  • Statement of Confidentiality

Please refer to our New Student Checklist & Intake Packet (PDF) for more information.

Receive Your Confidential Accommodation Access Plan

After submission of documentation and completion of paperwork, students will be provided with an Access Plan. This plan will detail the specific accommodations the student will be requesting for each class. An Access Plan must be requested and delivered to their instructor(s), by the student, each semester. Please refer to Accommodation Access Plans (AP): Understanding The Process for more information.

Contact Us

Office of Disability Services
Location: Student Life Center S207
Phone: 540-857-7286
Fax: 540-857-7918
TTY: 540-857-6351

Mailing Address
3096 Colonial Ave, SW
Roanoke, VA 24015

Hours of Operation

Mon-Thurs: 8:00AM-5:00PM
Friday: 8:00AM-4:30PM


Hillary Holland, LPC
Disability Counselor/ADA Coordinator

Karole Passmore
Administrative Office Specialist