Health Science Program
- Prepares students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution to complete a baccalaureate degree in allied health programs such as nursing, health education or dietetics/nutrition
- Cohort is limited to 24 students
- Designed for students that have demonstrated strong Math and Science skills in their high school program
- High school aged 11th and 12th graders are encouraged to apply
Benefits to Students
- Earn college credits while in high school
- Gain valuable knowledge of exciting careers in healthcare industry
- Access to state-of-the-art labs
- Engage with and learn from seasoned faculty with significant experience
- Interact with Virginia Western and other high school students
- Applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to the college
- Students must complete the Academy Application and submit all supporting documentation noted in the application.
- Successfully complete the Virginia Placement Test (VPT). Scores on the VPT must equate to "Placed ENG 111" and MTE 1 – 9 (or equivalent).
- Students must meet the prerequisites for BIO 141 by
- completing high school biology with a C or higher and successfully completing the placement test for BIO 141, or
- completing BIO 101 with a C or higher through dual enrollment or on campus
Students that do not meet the prerequisite for BIO 141 may complete BIO 101 during the summer session to be eligible for the Academy in the fall. BIO 101 is a four-credit course (lecture and lab) that prepares students for upper level biology courses and is transferrable.
Dr. Kathryn H. Beard, Dual Enrollment Coordinator
Kelly Albert, Dual Enrollment Specialist
Location: Fishburn Hall F125C
Mailing Address 3093 Colonial Ave SW Roanoke, VA 24015