Apply to the Academy
The Regional Academy offers area high school juniors and seniors the ability to gain college credit and experience on a college campus while finishing their high school careers. There are five programs available to students: Engineering, Mechatronics, Health Science-Pre Health, Interdisciplinary Science, and Health Science – Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA).
- Students must be a high school junior or senior
- Students must complete and submit a Regional Academy application that includes a self-and parental nomination form, letters of reference, commitment form and high school transcripts.
- Students must apply to VWCC and complete all placement testing requirements prior to submitting their application.
- Space is limited. Application selection and review by the college will begin on April 1st for admission into the fall academy program. Students are strongly encouraged to submit their application on or before that date.
- Students in the Engineering, Mechatronics and Interdisciplinary Science programs must have a recommendation from a current Math or Science Teacher.
- Students applying for the CNA program may submit recommendations from community members who can speak to the student’s academic achievements and career goals.
- All new Regional Academy students must attend a New Student Orientation.
- Complete all sections of the application (please print neatly).
- All signatures must be signed on the Parent/Guardian and Student Commitment page.
- Include any assessment scores that can be used for placement into classes.
- Attach an up-to-date high school transcript.
- Attach a completed and signed Teacher Recommendation form.
- Notify your high school counselor prior to completing and submitting the application.
- Tuition must be paid at the time of course registration or no later than June 1st. For ways to pay tuition and fees, refer to the how to pay tuition page here.
Application Forms/Documentation Checklist
Completed applications are due Monday, April 1, 2019.
- Virginia Western Community College Application
- Regional Academy Application (PDF)
- Parent Nomination Form (see Academy Application)
- Student Nomination Form (see Academy Application)
- Math Teacher Recommendation Form (see Academy Application)
- High School Transcripts
- Student Information Release Form (PDF)
- Dual Enrollment – Under 18 Signature Page (PDF)
Your application must have all components before it is considered complete. Call the Dual Enrollment Office at 540-857-7313, if you need additional information or have questions regarding the application process. You may also contact the Dual Enrollment Coordinator directly at or 540-857-7235.
Acceptance and New Student Orientation
A letter of acceptance will be sent by mail. Students accepted into the Regional Academy will be required to participate in an orientation prior to the start of the semester. Details of the orientation will be provided in the letter of acceptance.
Dr. Kathryn H. Beard, Dual Enrollment Coordinator
Kelly Albert, Dual Enrollment Specialist