About Virginia Western :: College Policies
- About VWCC
- Administrative Offices
- Maps & Directions
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Leadership & Governance
- Legal & Policies
- Emergency Preparedness
- Strategic Plan - Success 2021
- Event Facilities
- Off-Campus Facilities
- Educational Foundation
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Marketing & Communications
- Workforce Solutions
- Employment Opportunities
- Mission & Vision
- Community/Met Opera
- Diversity & Inclusion
I-49: Faculty Office Hours
Policy Number: I-49
Last Reviewed: August 22, 2016
Responsible Dept.: Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs
A signed copy of this policy is available in the President's Office.
Office hours should total 10 hours per week during fall and spring semesters. Office hours should be scheduled in increments of at least 30 minutes.
- 1 office hour will be granted for participation in the Activity Hour (Tuesdays 2-3 PM) or other scheduled College Committee.
- 5 office hours will be face-to-face
- Minimum of three days per week
- Minimum of 30 minute increments
- 1 office hour for e-mail correspondence
- 3 office hours that will be flexible - i.e. virtual, face-to-face or a combination
Include the following number of "Administrative Hours" based on your assignment:
- .5 credit = 1 hour per week
- 1 credit = 1.75 hours per week
- 1.5 credits = 2.5 hours per week
- 2 credits = 3.5 hours per week
- 3 credits = 5 hours per week
- 7.5 credits = 13 hours per week
Summer Session Office Hours
- 10-week courses -1 hour per course per week
- 5-week courses - 2 hours per course per week
- Online hours may be used for distance learning courses or with permission from the Dean for face-to-face courses.
Office hours should total 12-19 per week during fall and spring semesters based on the number of credits taught according to the table below. Office hours should be scheduled in increments of at least 30 minutes.
|Credits/Contact Hours||Office Hours||Total|
Adjunct Faculty should schedule one office hour per week per course taught. This applies to summer, fall and spring classes. Office hours should be scheduled in increments of at least 30 minutes.