About Virginia Western :: College Policies
- About VWCC
- Administrative Offices
- Maps & Directions
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Leadership & Governance
- Legal & Policies
- Emergency Preparedness
- Strategic Plan - Success 2021
- Event Facilities
- Off-Campus Facilities
- Educational Foundation
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Marketing & Communications
- Career & Corporate Training
- Employment Opportunities
- Mission & Vision
- Diversity & Inclusion
I-45: Requirements for Student Activities
Policy Number: I-45
Last Reviewed: April 8, 2014
Responsible Dept.: Dean of Student Services
A signed copy of this policy is available in the President's Office.
In accordance with VCCS Policy 6.4.5, the State Board of Community Colleges encourages the development of a student activities program designed to promote educational and cultural experiences. Student activities are out-of-classroom activities that support the mission of the colleges and provide students avenues for personal growth and enrichment. Through participation in clubs and organizations, or other planned activities, students develop a wide range of abilities, including intellectual, communication, athletic, and leadership skills. Students develop self-confidence, interpersonal skills, and an appreciation for other cultures and lifestyles. Finally, students develop a sense of integrity, purpose, and social responsibility that empowers them to be productive within and beyond the college community.
The State Board shall recognize and encourage honorary, scholastic, service organizations, and sports clubs that do not restrict membership based on race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, sexual orientation or other non-merit factors. Private clubs, private associations, social fraternities, and social sororities shall not be recognized by the VCCS. The following regulations and procedures apply to all student activity programs in the community colleges of the VCCS:
- The entire program of student activities shall be under college supervision.
- There shall be a faculty or staff sponsor for each student organization.
- All student activity funds shall be deposited with and expended through the college business office, subject to State Board policies, procedures, and regulations pertaining to such funds.
- Each college, with the approval of its local board, shall adopt its own regulations and procedures to implement the above policy.
- All student activity programs and recognized organizations must comply with the VCCS's nondiscrimination policy, except as follows:
Any recognized religious or political student organization shall be authorized to limit certain activities only to members who are committed to furthering the mission of such organization. Such activities include ordering the organization's internal affairs, selecting the organization's leaders and members, defining the organization's doctrines, and resolving the organization's disputes.