About Virginia Western
- About VWCC
- Administrative Offices
- Maps & Directions
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Leadership & Governance
- Legal & Policies
- Emergency Preparedness
- Strategic Plan - Success 2021
- Event Facilities
- Off-Campus Facilities
- Educational Foundation
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Marketing & Communications
- Workforce Solutions
- Employment Opportunities
- Mission & Vision
- Community/Met Opera
- Diversity & Inclusion
Virginia Western Community College is a two-year public institution of higher education operating under the Virginia Community College System, a statewide system of community colleges. The College operates under the policies established by the State Board for Community Colleges and the Virginia Western Community College Local Advisory Board.
Virginia Western is located on a 70-acre campus in southwest Roanoke, VA. The service region of the College includes Roanoke, Salem, Roanoke County, Craig County, Franklin County, and southern Botetourt County. The College was established in 1966 and has grown from an initial enrollment of 1,352 to its current annual enrollment of over 9,000 students in credit courses and more than 1,400 enrollments in fast-track workforce and continuing education courses.
VWCC's students come to the College from many backgrounds. We serve first-time, returning, and transfer students. Our students may attend on either a full-time or part-time basis, depending on their needs. For more information about the students, check out our Fact Book.
Nearly 90 full-time faculty and more than 150 full-time staff members and administrators serve our students. In addition, approximately 200 part-time faculty strengthen our ability to provide more courses and services.
Virginia Western Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Virginia Western Community College. Normal inquiries, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Virginia Western and not to the Commission's office.
The College is a member of the Virginia Community College System and is approved by the State Board for Community Colleges. Virginia Western is also approved by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. Certain curricula of the College are accredited and/or approved by specialized accrediting organizations:
- A.S. Business Administration, A.A.S. Accounting, A.A.S. Administrative Management Technology, and A.A.S. Management programs, including all program specializations, are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
- A.A.S. Culinary Arts and Career Studies Certificates in Culinary Arts and Baking and Pastry are accredited by the American Culinary Federation.
- A.A.S. Dental Hygiene is accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- A.A.S. Nursing and Certificate of Practical Nursing are approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing.
- A.A.S. Radiography and A.A.S. Radiation Oncology are accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology.