About Virginia Western
- About VWCC
- Administrative Offices
- Career & Corporate Training
- Directions & Maps
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Educational Foundation
- Emergency Preparedness
- Employment Opportunities
- Event Facilities
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Leadership & Governance
- Legal & Policies
- Marketing & Communications
- Mission & Vision
- Off-Campus Facilities
- Strategic Plan - Success 2021
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity is a core value at Virginia Western Community College. We are committed to promoting a culture and practice of inclusion and empowerment.
Virginia Western defines diversity as the celebration of the unique contributions of all individuals, stemming from, but not limited to, the traditional categories of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, national origin, religion, sexual orientation and socio-economic status.
We are Western--a college community united in our individuality.
Did you know?
- Our diverse student body is comprised of students from 8 major ethnic groups.
- The mission of Virginia's Community Colleges is to "give EVERYONE the opportunity to learn and develop the right skills so lives and communities are strengthened."
- There are 5 minority-majority institutions in the Virginia Community College System.
- The Office of Disability Services assists in facilitating accommodations for all eligible students.
- Virginia Western has numerous student clubs and organizations. If you can't find one that matches your interests, you can start a new one! Click on "Student Clubs & Organizations" below for more information.
Diversity @ VWCC
Mission, Values, Goals
Virginia Western Events Calendar
Student Life Office
Student Clubs and Organizations
Military Student Center
ADA Campus Map
- I am a Course Coordinator in the School of Career and Corporate Training (CCT).
- I was born in DC…grew up in the red dirt of southern Virginia.
- I came to the Roanoke area and Virginia Western to pursue a career in higher education.
- I enjoy spoiling my mini schnauzer, specifically turning a blind eye when he nips the ankles of my friends and family. I love my flower garden! Currently, I'm growing about 40 different varieties, with high hopes to reach 100 by June. Fingers crossed for awesome blooms! Very recently I started volunteering as a remote Career Coach with Dress for Success. If you aren't volunteering at the moment, try it out. Your skills are needed. Hanging out in my backyard and grilling food with friends is my happy place. A few days ago, I grilled swordfish kebabs…yes I paid too much…no I did not like it.
- I could speak for hours and hours on the many people that have inspired me. Instead, I'd like to share a quote with you I heard in a podcast over the weekend that struck me, "Procrastination is the arrogant assumption that God owes you another chance to do tomorrow, what he gave you the chance to do today." - O'Neal. Isn't that powerful? It certainly motivated me to keep going and not give up or in.
- At Virginia Western, I have found a group of peers that are ready to support me win, lose, or draw. Even as we all work diligently to serve the students of our valley, faculty and staff find ways to celebrate our highs and champion our lows. It's a beautiful thing.
- Diversity, for me, is appreciating the beauty found in humanity. Appreciating diversity steers your world in a way that embraces people of different genders, sexual orientations, and ethnic and social backgrounds. It's important because diversity allows us to welcome new perspectives and knowledge. To all, if no one has welcomed you to Virginia Western…Welcome! I am glad you are here! How can I support your goals?