Workforce Solutions :: Featured Programs
Medical Billing Specialist
Get started in your healthcare career with an entry-level job as a medical billing specialist. These specialists are comfortable working with a computer in an office environment, performing data entry with various software programs, problem solving to resolve billing errors, and communicating with insurance payers, patients, and other health professionals via telephone.
Registration & Funding
To receive more information on funding assistance and if you meet the eligibility criteria, call 540-857-6076 and ask for a Career Navigator.
This program is ideal for students who have never worked in healthcare, or are looking for career related to billing procedures.
Students will learn:
- Gather and review essential patient information
- Verify accuracy of billing data and revise errors
- Support coding and billing process
- Assign codes for diagnoses and procedures
- Submit claims for reimbursement
Students will be prepared to sit for the Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
This program will not make you eligible to sit for the national certification exams with the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) exams. This course will however prepare you for an entry-level position or to continue your education with a Health Information Management Career Studies Certificate.
Demonstrate college readiness by completing one of the following:
- Proof of GED or US High School diploma valid within past five years. Scores or GPA to be evaluated for college readiness.
- US College diploma or transcript showing completion of non-developmental English and Math.
- Take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English and Math. Developmental scores not eligible to register.
- Submit results from the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Demonstrate computer skills by completing one of the following:
- Transcript showing computer class completion within last five years.
- Certificate of completion for a computer class within last three years.
- Completion of the North Star computer assessment.
Career Path & Funding Assistance:
Amanda Decker: 540-857-6279
Melissa Marcus: 540-857-6820
Location: Thomas Center - Ground Floor
3074 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015