Are you a former ITT student interested in continuing your education at Virginia Western?  Click here!

Apply Now

About VWCC

Workforce Solutions: Your Key to Success

On-Ramp Program

The On-Ramp Program assists dislocated workers with tuition, books and fees in an effort to successfully transition them back into the workforce through short-term certificate programs. Continuing education/workforce programs as well as credit courses are encouraged.

Benefits of the Program:

  • Receive Financial Assistance to pay for Tuition, Books, Supplies and Fees
  • Receive assistance and support of a Career Navigator
  • Formulate and develop a Career Pathway (Program of Study) for employment
  • Use the Virginia Educational Wizard to identify interests, skills, and work values
  • Receive an industry-recognized credential or license
  • Information about employment resources and services
  • Details about the academic resources available

Who Qualifies?

On-Ramp funds may be used to provide financial assistance to students taking occupational noncredit courses or sequences of courses that result in an industry-recognized credential or a state licensure. Awards shall be made on a first-come, first-served basis or through a priority of service policy developed and documented by a participating On-Ramp Program. In order to participate in the On Ramp Program and receive student aid for credit or non-credit courses, individuals must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Be age 18 or older;
  • Be classified as a Dislocated Worker as defined by Workforce Investment Act criteria. Dislocated Workers are eligible workers who have been laid off or terminated through no fault of their own or have received an official layoff notice.
  • Be enrolled in a noncredit course or sequence of courses that are designed to lead to an industry validated certification or licensure. Selected programs of study must be targeted to the objective of providing clients with an industry recognized credential, designed to train clients for a specific occupation or occupations and increase client prospects for job placement and persistence. In addition, selected programs of study must be linked to in demand employment opportunities based on local Labor Market Information.
  • Complete the Financial Aid Eligibility Process to ensure the client meets federal eligibility criteria (including the identification of any default on federal financial aid or loans) and to identify additional sources of federal or state aid that can be used to pay for the training.

Dislocated Worker

Individuals must meet General Eligibility, which consists of Citizenship or Eligible to Work, Age, and Selective Service Registration.

Citizenship or Eligible to Work: participation in programs and activities financially assisted in whole or part under WIA shall be open to citizens and nationals of the United States, lawfully admitted permanent resident aliens, lawfully admitted refugees and parolees, and other individuals authorized by the Attorney General to work in the United States (applies to all programs under Title I). [Act 188(a)(5)]

Selective Service Registrant: the Secretary shall ensure that each individual participating in any program established under WIA, or receiving any assistance or benefit under WIA, has not violated Section 3 of the Military Selective Service Act (MSSA) (50 U.S.C. App. 453) by not presenting or submitting to registration as required pursuant to such section. The Director of the Selective Service System shall cooperate with the Secretary in carrying out this section.

NOTE: Males born on or after January 1, 1960 must register with the selective service system within 30 days after their 18th birthday or at least before they reach the age of 26. [Act 189(h)]

Procedures outlined in TEGL No. 4-89, dated March 19, 1990, and TEGL No. 8-98, dated November 4, 1998, must be followed.

Age: to be eligible for the dislocated worker program, an individual must be 18 years of age or older. [20 CFR 663.110]

In addition, individuals must meet the following Specific Eligibility: A dislocated worker must meet the definition of one of the five dislocated worker categories.

A dislocated worker is an individual who has been:

  • Terminated/Laid Off and Eligible for UC and Unlikely to Return: has been terminated or laid off, or who has received a notice of termination or layoff, from employment and is eligible for or has exhausted entitlement to unemployment compensation; OR has been employed for a duration sufficient to demonstrate, to the appropriate entity at a one-stop center referred to in Section 134(c), attachment to the workforce, but is not eligible for unemployment compensation due to insufficient earnings or having performed services for an employer that was not covered under a State unemployment compensation law and is unlikely to return to a previous industry or occupation;
  • Permanent Closure/Substantial Layoff: has been terminated or laid off, or has received a notice of termination or layoff, from employment as a result of any permanent closure of, or any substantial layoff at, a plant, facility, or enterprise;
  • General Announcement of Closure: is employed at a facility at which the employer has made a general announcement that such facility will close within 180 days; or for purposes of eligibility to receive services other than training services described in Section 134(d)(4), intensive services described in Section 134(d)(3), or supportive services, is employed at a facility at which the employer has made a general announcement that such facility will close;
  • Formerly Self-Employed/Currently Unemployed: was self-employed (including employment as a farmer, a rancher, or a fisherman) but is unemployed as a result of general economic conditions in the community in which the individual resides or because of natural disasters; or
  • Displaced Homemaker: an individual who has been providing unpaid services to family members in the home and who
    (A) has been dependent on the income of another family member but is no longer supported by that income; AND
    (B) is unemployed or underemployed and is experiencing difficulty in obtaining or upgrading employment.
On-Ramp Forms
  • 2 Forms of Identification: i.e. Driver’s License, Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Passport (required)
  • DD-214, Report of Transfer or Discharge Paper (If Military)
  • School Records/Identification Card (if applicable)
  • Work Permit (if applicable)
  • Public Assistance/Social Service Records (if applicable)
  • Selective Service Registration- if male (required)
  • Unemployment Insurance benefits award letter/VEC statement (required)
  • Letter of layoff (required)
  • Trade Act Entitlement letter (if applicable)

Other paperwork will be completed with On-Ramp Career Coach.


For more information, or to begin the On-Ramp application process, please contact a Virginia Western Career Navigator:

Michelle Penn
Education Support Specialist II
Financial Aid/Veterans
Chapman Hall C106B
540-857-6059 | 

Laura Stevens
Professional Workforce Center Representative
1351 Hershberger Rd, Suite 205
540-857-6318 | 

Amanda Decker
Career Navigator
Thomas Center G205
540-857-6279 | 

Workforce Enterprise System

Try out our new WES for all of your non-credit class needs! Find and register for classes; view your upcoming registrations, transactions, and transcripts; access online courses; and more!

Contact Us

Main Office

Location: Thomas Center - Ground Floor
Phone: 540-857-6076
Fax: 540-857-7386

Mailing Address:
3074 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015