Instructors will enter grades via the grade roster found in the Faculty Center. Depending upon the grading basis of the class, grades of A, B, C, D, F, P, S, R, and U may be entered.
Under certain circumstances, instructors may also enter a grade of I. The I grade is to be used only for verifiable, unavoidable reasons when a student is unable to complete a course within the normal course time. When an I grade is awarded, a completed Incomplete Grade Contract must be submitted to the Division Office or the Records Office. The form must include the following:
- the reason for assigning the grade
- the work to be completed and indicate its percentage in relation to the total work of the course
- the date by which the work must be completed
- the default grade based upon course work already completed. Completion dates may not be set beyond the subsequent semester (including the summer term).
A grade of W cannot be entered by faculty. Before entering grades, please review the Important Information found below.
When entering a grade of F, U, or R the Last Date of Attendance field must be populated. Failure to populate this field correctly will prevent you from completing the grade entry process. For information on populating the Last Date of Attendance field, please refer to instructions outlined below under Completing the Last Date of Attendance Field.
Please note that any student who does not attend even one class is considered a no-show student and must be reported to the Admissions Office on the no-show roster at the end of the add/drop period for the class. No-show students should not appear on the Grade Roster. For additional information on reporting no-show students, refer to the Faculty Handbook under Instructional/Registration Information.
Instructors are also required to report students who began attendance in a class and ceased attendance prior the withdrawal deadline for the class. If a student ceases attendance after the withdrawal deadline, a grade of F must be awarded on the grade roster. For additional information on reporting students who cease attendance prior to the withdrawal deadline, refer to the Faculty Handbook under Instructional/Registration Information. The withdrawal deadline for regular session classes can be found on the Faculty/Staff Resources page under Academic Calendar. Withdrawal deadlines for non-standard session classes are also found on the Faculty/Staff Resources page under Dynamic Class Dates.
2. Click VCCS SIS: Student Information System.
3. Click Self Service, Faculty Center, My Schedule. Your schedule for the designated term will be displayed. To change the term, click change term. Select the term and click CONTINUE.
4. Click the Grade Roster icon located in the My Teaching Schedule area of the screen. The Grade Roster page will be displayed. Please note that the Grade Roster icon will not be available until the Records Office has generated the grade roster.
5. To enter grades, the Grade Roster Type must be Final Grade and the Approval Status of the grade roster must be Not Reviewed.
6. Use the drop-down menu in the Roster Grade column and select the Grade.
- If a grade of I is found on the grade roster for a student, the I grade must NOT be changed or removed. In many cases, the I grade has been inserted by the Records Office.
- When faculty select a grade of F, U, or R, the Last Date of Attendancefield appears. Instructions for populating the Last Date of Attendance field are outlined below under Completing the Last Date of Attendance Field.
7. When all grades have been selected, click Save.
8. Return to the top of the Grade Roster page to the Approval Status drop-down menu and select Approved.
9. Click Save a final time.
10. To submit grades for another class, click the Faculty Center and select another class.
11. To exit, click Sign Out.
After entering a grade of F, U, or R in the Roster Grade field, the Last Date Attendance field will appear.
Click in the Last Date of Attendance field and enter the correct date as indicated below:
Students who stopped attending/participating in the course prior to the course end date:
- Preferred! Enter the Actual Last Date of Attendance (student stopped attending/participating in the course and the last date of attendance is known) - In this case the faculty member knows when the student stopped attending/participating in the course. The student's actual last date of attendance should be entered.
- 01/01/1900 (unknown Last Date of Attendance/student stopped attending/participating) — In this case, the faculty member does not know when the student stopped attending/participating. The placeholder date of 01/01/1900 indicates that the last date of attendance/participation is unknown. Using this date equates to the faculty member not knowing when the student stopped attending/participating in the class.
- Enter the last date of the semester/class end date (not last day the class actually met)>
- For regular session classes the end date of the semester must be entered in the Last Date of Attendance field. For 5W1 and 5W2, use the end date of the session. Please refer to the Academic Calendar found on the Faculty Resources page. The end date is also found on your class roster and grade roster.
- For dynamically dated classes, the end date for the course can be found on your class roster and your grade roster.
Completing the Last Date of Attendance Field examples:
If the student attended/participated/completed the entire course and earned a grade of F, U, or R, the date to use in the Last Date of Attendance field is as follows:
- Enter the last date of the semester for regular session classes. For 5W1 and 5W2, use the end date of that session. For Dynamic Session classes,
refer to the class end date on your class/grade roster.
Note: If the instructor is unsure of the end date of the class, look at the SIS class roster or grade roster as the beginning and ending dates appear on these. DO NOT ENTER THE ACTUAL LAST CLASS MEETING DATE.
If the student stopped attending before the end of the class and therefore received a non-passing grade of F, U, or R, the date to use in the Last Date of Attendance field is as follows:
- Enter the student's actual last date of attendance or participation in class (preferred)
- OR, Enter 01/01/1900
Note: The placeholder date of 01/01/1900 may be used if the instructor cannot determine the last date of attendance.