Power Hour Tutoring Program
The Power Hour Tutoring Program is a one-on-one tutoring program open to all current Virginia Western students. Small group tutoring for certain subject areas is also offered. Tutoring is provided to current students for free by Virginia Western. The program serves students who need private/group tutoring and do not qualify for the REACH program. Students may refer themselves for tutoring or may be referred by a faculty member. Popular tutoring requests include English, math, chemistry, and biology. We normally have enough tutors to fill most requests; however, we cannot guarantee that a tutor will be available to tutor in a given subject area. We try our best to accommodate all tutoring requests.
Rachel Rorer - Tutor Coordinator can be reached at 857-6442.
Power Hour is a CRLA (College Reading & Learning Association) certified tutoring program.
How to Obtain a Power Hour Tutor
- Be a current Virginia Western student.
- Be currently enrolled in the class you are requesting.
- Attend class; tutoring is not a substitute for going to class!
- Fill out a tutor request form.
- Make an appointment to meet with the study skills specialist.
- A study skills and/or test taking skills session must be completed before receiving a tutor.
- Be dependable! Show up to your tutoring sessions on time and be prepared!
- Remember to notify your tutor 24 hours in advance if you cannot attend a tutoring session.
- If you need to drop the class, inform the tutor and tutor coordinator.
How to Become a Power Hour Tutor
- Contact the Tutor Coordinator at 540-857-6442.
- Provide the Tutor Coordinator with a resume, a letter of recommendation (from a teacher, supervisor, etc.) and unofficial transcripts reflecting your educational background.
- Applicants must have an A or B in the classes they wish to tutor.
General Rules for Power Hour Tutors & Tutees
- All tutoring must take place in a public location on campus.
- Wait 15 minutes for your tutor/tutee to arrive.
- Be on time and prepared for all tutoring sessions.
- Behave in a considerate manner to other students, tutors, and staff.