The Academic Link's one-on-one/group tutoring program is open to all Virginia Western students for courses in which they are currently enrolled. Tutoring is provided in an individual or small group format at no cost to students. The one-on-one/group tutoring program provides tutors for most VWCC courses, and we do our best to fill all requests. We can't, however, guarantee that a tutor will be available to tutor in a given subject area.
How to Obtain a Tutor
- Stop by the The Academic Link and complete a tutor request form.
- Make an appointment with the Academic Skills Coach for a study skills or test skills session if this is your first or second semester requesting tutoring.
- Check your VWCC email daily for appointment confirmation, reminder, and cancellation emails.
How to Become a Tutor
- Be a current or former VWCC student, a student at another college, or a qualified member of the community.
- Have an A or high B in the subject for which you’d like to tutor.
- Have an overall 3.0 GPA on all college work.
- Stop by The Academic Link or email email@example.com to request an application.
- Complete the application and submit it, along with the required documentation (see application), to the Tutor Coordinator.
- Maintain a 3.0 overall GPA during the time you’re tutoring (college students only).
General Rules for Tutors & Students
- Conduct all tutoring sessions in a public location on campus.
- Wait 15 minutes for your tutor/student to arrive.
- Be on time and prepared for all tutoring sessions.
- Behave in a considerate manner toward other students, tutors, and staff.
See The Academic Link Home page for contact information and business hours.
The Academic Link’s One-on-One/Group Tutoring Program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).