Student Services :: International Students

Getting Started - International Students

VWCC does not have an International Student department. It is important to pay close attention to deadlines as all required information must be received by each semester deadline. We do not make exceptions to these deadlines.  It is important for the prospective student to make contact with the school official as soon as possible. Contact information for the VWCC school official is listed on the International student page on the website. Please direct all your questions to that person.

Dates and Deadlines

The following dates have been set for all required documents to be received by a VWCC International Student staff member. Once all required documents are received, allow at least two weeks for processing the I-20.

Semester to Start Out of Country Applicants Transfer Students
Fall May 1 June 1
Spring November 1 December 1
Summer Please contact the School Official

How to Apply as an International Student

1. Apply to Virginia Western

There are three ways to apply to Virginia Western:

  • Review instructions and apply online.
  • Download the VWCC Application in PDF format. Return the completed application to the Virginia Western Admissions Office in Chapman Hall Rm 108, by fax at 540-857-6163 or by mail at:

    Admissions Office
    Virginia Western Community College
    3094 Colonial Ave., SW
    Roanoke, VA 24015
  • Request a mailed application by contacting the Virginia Western Admissions Office at 540-857-7231.

2. Complete the I-20 Student Information Form

Click here to complete the form.

All I-20 forms are filed with INS on the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) electronic database. The form must be completed very accurately. It is the basis for your I-20 and some Consular Offices are very particular.

3. Send a copy of your current passport.

4. Obtain a copy of your I-94 (In-Country Applicants Only)

If you are an in-country applicant, you must obtain a copy of your I-94, Passport, or Visa to provide to the International Education office.

5. Demonstrate English Proficiency

  1. If you are out of the country, you must complete the TOEFL and earn a score of at least:
    • 500 on a paper-based test
    • 173 on a computer-based test OR
    • 61 on an Internet-based test.

    Our code for reporting scores is 5868. This is the only test we use to verify English proficiency.
  2. Students already in the United States should either provide documentation of college level English at an American college/university or take the Virginia Western placement test.

6. Obtain Transcripts

You must obtain transcripts and English translations of all your High School and/or College records.

7. Obtain an Affidavit of Support

The student's proof of financial responsibility must be received, reviewed, and evaluated at Virginia Western Community College. Please see the cost estimate breakdown below for an estimate of the funds needed for 2 years of attendance, based on 12 credits per semester. Funds should be converted to U.S. dollars by the financial institution. We do not accept fund verification in other country's currency.

Cost Estimate

Tuition and Fees Cost per Year # of Years Total
Tuition and fees (current rates) $8,250 2 $16,500
Books and Supplies $1,500 2 $3,000
Room and Board (not provided by VWCC) $8,000 2 $16,000
Personal Expenses and Health Insurance $2,500 2 $5,000
Total     $40,500

The student may also use the Virginia Western Funds Verification form and the Virginia Western Statement of Financial Support form to verify this "Total Need" if they are already in this country.

Click here for more information and to download the Affidavit of Support (I-134) Form.

8. Submit Your I-901 Fee

After you receive your I-20, submit your I-901 fee to the Federal Government.

9. If Transferring, Submit the Transfer Eligibility Form (In-country Applicants Only)

If you are transferring from another U.S. college, please complete the Transfer Eligibility Form and submit a copy of your current I-20.

10. Provide Documentation of Health Insurance

Once you enroll in classes, you must provide documentation of health insurance. Examples:

  • letter of verfication from the insurance company
  • copy of insurance card
  • copy of insurance policy

NOTE: You are allowed to arrive in the U.S. 30 days before classes start. Once you are here, contact the school official to schedule an appointment. You must do this before you register for classes.

Contact Us

Appointments are required. Contact Sheri Meixner at 540 857-6711 to schedule an appointment.


VWCC Alerts

We use VW Alert to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency.

Get more info and register