Student Services

Grading System

The quality of performance in any academic course is reported by a letter grade, the assignment of which is the responsibility of the instructor. These grades denote the character of study and are assigned quality points as follows:

A = Excellent: 4 grade points per credit
B = Good: 3 grade points per credit
C = Average: 2 grade points per credit
D = Poor: 1 grade point per credit
F = Failure: 0 grade points per credit

I = Incomplete:An Incomplete is to be used only for verifiable, unavoidable reasons that a student is unable to complete a course within the normal course time.  To be eligible to receive an "I" grade, the student must (1) have satisfactorily completed more than 50% of the course requirements, and (2) must request the faculty member to assign the "I" grade and indicate why it is warranted.  The faculty member has the discretion to decide whether the "I" grade will be awarded.

Since the "incomplete" extends enrollment in the course, requirements for satisfactory completion shall be established through consultation between the faculty member and the student.  Completion dates may not be set beyond the subsequent semester (including the summer term) without the written approval of the chief academic officer of the campus, or his designee. Once documentation has been completed, the instructor submits to the Records office.
An "I" grade will be changed to a "W" only under documented, mitigating circumstances which must be approved by the chief academic officer of the campus, or his designee. 

NOTE:  If the work is not completed by the class end date of the subsequent semester, the student will be awarded the "default" grade. The instructor will not accept overdue work/assignments after the grade had already been changed to the default grade. The default grade will be final. At the end of each term, the Records office will change all outstanding “I” grades to the default grade just prior to grade processing for the term.

P = Pass: Credit earned but not included in grade point average. Applies to non-developmental studies courses, noncredit courses, orientation, and specialized courses and seminars at the discretion of the college. Up to seven credit hours for which the "P" has been awarded may be applied toward completion of a program. A grade of "P" may be used as a grading option with the permission of the Division Dean.

S = Satisfactory: No grade point credit; used only for satisfactory completion of a developmental studies course (numbered 01–09).

R = Re-enroll: No credit. The student is making progress but the course objectives have not been completed; to be used only for developmental studies courses (numbered 01–09). Re-enrollment for the completion of course objectives may be required.

U = Unsatisfactory: No credit. The student has not made satisfactory progress. Applies only to developmental studies courses (numbered 01–09), noncredit courses, orientation, specialized courses, and seminars at the discretion of the college.

W = Withdrawal: No credit. A grade of "W" is awarded to students who withdraw or are withdrawn from a course after the drop period but prior to the completion of 60 percent of the session. (Withdrawal deadlines are published in the General Catalog and each term in the Schedule of Classes.) Students who cease attendance prior to the withdrawal deadline for a class will be reported to the Admissions Office and withdrawn from the class. Students who are dropped or withdrawn by the instructor for non-attendance/participation will not be reinstated unless instructor error is determined. After the withdrawal deadline, students will receive a grade of "F" if they stop attending class, unless they request and are granted an administrative withdrawal because of mitigating and appropriately documented circumstances. Such requests should be submitted to and approved by the Admissions and Records Coordinator in the Admissions Office (via an Administrative Withdrawal form) during the term in which the discontinuance of attendance occurs.

X = Audit: Students desiring to attend a course without taking the examination or receiving credit for the course may do so by registering to audit through the usual registration process and paying for the normal tuition. Permission of the division dean or the registrar is required to audit a course. Audited courses carry no credit and do not count as part of the student's course load. Students desiring to change status in a course from audit to credit or from credit to audit must do so within the add/drop period for the course. Advanced standing credit will not be awarded for a previously audited course.

Grade Point Average

The grade-point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0) by the number of credits attempted. Grades of I, P, R, U, S, W, and X are not included in the calculation of GPA.

Grade Changes

Once a grade has been awarded for a class, it is normally permanent. Situations may arise where there are documented, mitigating circumstances, the following steps should be followed:

Step One: The student should contact the college faculty member about a grade dispute. Every reasonable effort should be made by all parties to resolve the matter informally at this level, and no written records of the matter will be placed in the student’s official file. If the situation is resolved informally and the instructor agrees that an error was made, the instructor will submit a Grade Change Form to the appropriate academic dean, who will forward it to the Records Office.

Step Two: If the grade dispute cannot be resolved at the first step, a Student Grievance Form must be submitted by the student within five business days of the notification of grade unless otherwise indicated by the instructor.

Step Three: The Program Head will follow the Student Grievance Process using the Student Grievance Form.  Course syllabi and evaluation materials will be included in the review of the grade dispute.

Step Four: Following the Student Grievance Procedure, if the student is not satisfied with the Program Head’s decision, the student may follow the process outlined on the Student Grievance Form to appeal the decision to the academic dean and the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs if necessary. The decision of the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs is final.

Step Five: If at any time it is determined that a grade change is warranted, a grade change form will be submitted to the Records Office.

Repeating a Course

Students will be allowed to enroll for the third time in a course without having to obtain approval from the Division Dean and the Dean of Student Services or the Admissions and Records Coordinator/Registrar when:

  1. The course is a developmental course and the last grade is either a "W" or an "R.
  2. The first two attempts in the course include one or more "W" grades.
  3. The course is a non-developmental course and the last grade earned is a "D."

Except under the conditions cited above, a student will not be allowed to enroll in a course more than two times without the approval of the Division Dean and the Dean of Student Services or the Admissions and Records Coordinator/ Registrar. "W" and "I" grades are included when counting the number of course attempts.

Should the student request to enroll in the same course more than twice, the need must be documented and approved by the Division Dean and Dean of Student Services or the Admissions and Records Coordinator/Registrar. Quarter credit courses are exempt from the repeat course policy.

Students should consult with an academic advisor before repeating a course for credit. All grades earned for all courses taken one or more times are indicated on the student’s permanent record card, but only the last grade earned is used in calculating the student’s cumulative grade point average and for satisfying curricular requirements. This policy applies only to courses taken since summer 1994, and also to courses taken since the conversion to the semester system (summer 1988) and repeated since fall 1996. For further information regarding this policy change and how it may affect students, contact the Records Office.


VWCC Alerts

We use VW Alert to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency.

Get more info and register