Student Services :: Disability Services

Accessing Services

Accommodations must be requested prior to the date needed. While the college will try to honor all requests, accommodations must be requested in a reasonable amount of time for processing or the accommodation may not be ready on the date needed.

To Request Accomodations

  1. Make an appointment to meet with a counselor/advisor in Student Support Services.
  2. Complete a Disability Disclosure.
  3. Complete an Accommodation Request. Provide appropriate documentation to Student Support Services.
  4. Obtain from Student Support Services an Accommodation Access Plan of approved accommodations. Be aware of the date your Accommodation Access Plan expires.

Follow the procedures below for classroom accommodations.

Classroom Accommodations

Classroom accommodations must be arranged with the faculty member in a reasonable amount of time to meet, discuss accommodations, and allow for implementation. If classroom accommodations are not requested in a reasonable amount of time to complete the process below, the faculty member may not be able to provide the accommodations at the time needed. Meeting with the faculty member within the first two weeks of classes is recommended if the need for accommodations is known at that time.

  1. Make an appointment to meet with the faculty member for whose course you need the accommodations that have been approved on your Accommodation Access Plan. Specific accommodations may be needed in some courses, but not in others.
  2. Show the faculty member for whose class you are requesting accommodations a copy of your Accommodation Access Plan. If requested, provide the faculty member a copy of your plan. You may obtain as many copies of your plan as needed from Student Support Services.
  3. Request from the faculty member the classroom accommodations needed, from your Accommodation Access Plan, for his/her course. The faculty member will address any accommodations requested that interfere with the essential nature of the program of study or the course curriculum. After discussing your requests with the instructor, the instructor will complete the Accommodation Agreement Form.
  4. The student and faculty member sign the Classroom Accommodation Agreement Form.The faculty member will give the student a copy of the agreement, keep a copy, and return the original to Student Support Services. At any point, please let the Student Support Services counselor or advisor know of any questions, concerns, or problems.

Note: Classroom accommodations are not effective until you meet with the course instructor to request the classroom accommodations needed from your Accommodation Access Plan and to complete the Classroom Accommodation Agreement.

It is the policy of the Virginia Community College System and Virginia Western Community College to maintain and promote equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, or other non-merit factors. For further information, contact the Title IX Coordinator in Fishburn Hall, Room 018-B, at 857-6067 or the ADA/504 Coordinator, Student Center, Room 102, at 857-7286.


VWCC Alerts

We use VW Alert to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency.

Get more info and register