Give Now


Paying for Virginia Western

Tuition and Fees Refund Policy

You will be eligible for a full refund of tuition and fees for credit hours of course(s) if you drop on or before the last day to drop with a refund for Regular session courses as listed in the Academic Calendar. The last day to drop for a refund for short-session courses should be noted on the instructor's syllabus. Students may drop classes online using MyVWCC. Students may also drop classes in person in Chapman Hall during the refund/drop period.

Please ensure that you update your student address whenever you relocate or change your address. Address changes may be made by accessing SIS through MyVWCC or by completing an Address Change Form in the Records Office in Chapman Hall. Students who do not have an up-to-date address or are missing address information in their student account may not receive their refund in a timely manner.

Two Refund Choices

If you are eligible for a refund at any time during the school year - due to change in class schedule, financial aid, etc. - you will receive an email from, which will require immediate attention. At that time, you will be asked to indicate the refund method you prefer.

Direct Deposit
  • Deposits to a current checking or savings account
  • Funds available in 2 to 3 days
Reloadable Virginia Western Community College Visa® Prepaid Card*

Virginia Western Community College has contracted with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) to process tuition refunds to students electronically.  VWCC is excited to provide students with the opportunity to select their preferred refund disbursement method and get their refund FAST,  in as little as one business day with the Virginia Western Community College Visa® Prepaid Card. Click here to view the contract

  • Offers free reloading, bill pay, reward points, and more
  • Funds typically available immediately**
  • Please note that you may register for the reloadable VWCC Visa Prepaid Card regardless of whether you ever receive a refund. Families may find the card to be a convenient and effective money management tool.

*This card is issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc.
**Once card is received.

Learn more at or call Customer Support at 1-888-425-1138.

Refunds, Credits, and Reinstatement as a Result of Military Service

In accordance with the Code of Virginia, Section 23-9.6:2 and the corresponding SCHEV Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines, Virginia Western Community College provides for the tuition relief, refund and reinstatement of students whose service in the uniformed services has required their sudden withdrawal or prolonged absence from their enrollment due to a call or order to active duty, of more than 30 days, after the beginning of a semester.

For the purposes of this policy, the following definitions shall apply:

  • "Service in the uniformed services" means service (whether voluntary or involuntary) on active duty in the Armed Forces, including such service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve, for a period of more than 30 days under call or order to active duty of more than 30 days.
  • "Tuition" means the actual price of education charged to a student for the term in which service in the uniformed services caused his or her sudden withdrawal or prolonged absence from enrollment at a Virginia institution of higher education.
  • "Reinstatement" means the re-admittance and reenrollment of a student whose service in the uniformed services has caused his or her sudden withdrawal or prolonged absence from enrollment.
  • "Sudden withdrawal" means leaving an institution after a semester has begun or after the tuition and required fees for a term have already been billed to or paid by the student.

To be eligible for the considerations detailed in this policy, the College requires students to complete the following:

  • The student must complete a Student Registration Change Form. Student Registration Change Forms are available through the Enrollment Center located in Chapman Hall Room C108 (540-857-7231).
  • If the student elects to receive an "I" Incomplete grade for a course(s), the instructor should forward an Incomplete Grade Contract to the Registrar's Office.
  • The student must provide a copy of the applicable military orders or enlistment contract.
  • For verification purposes, the student must present a valid, active duty military identification card.
  • Complete an exit interview with the Financial Aid Office.
  • Return the completed Student Registration Change Form and the above-mentioned documents to the Registrar's Office for processing.
Tuition and Required Fees

If the student is deployed to active duty military service during the semester and the student requests to be dropped from their classes after the last date to drop and receive a refund of tuition, the student can:

  • Drop all classes and all tuition charges will be waived with:
    • Personal payments refunded
    • Financial aid adjusted as required
    • Financial aid refunds repaid by student if appropriate
    • Maintain all or part of enrollment with:
      • Tuition adjusted accordingly
      • Financial aid adjusted as required
      • Financial aid refunds repaid by student if appropriate
      • Withdraw from all or part of their courses with no refund and be assigned a grade of "W"
  • In the event that there is an unpaid student account balance at time of deployment, the college will work with student on payment arrangements. No collection actions will occur during deployment; however, the student must resolve any unpaid balances prior to subsequent enrollment.
Academic Credit

When a student is deployed to active duty military service (for reservists) or mobilized (active military) as described in the Code of Virginia, Section 23-9.6:2 and the corresponding SCHEV Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines, the student will have the following options concerning grades assigned for the semester in which the call to active duty occurs:

  • If the student leaves at any time during the semester and elects to receive a full tuition refund, no courses or grades will be recorded on the student's transcript.
  • If the student elects to receive an "I" (Incomplete) grade, the regulation regarding conversion of an "I" to "F" grade will be suspended until the student returns to Virginia Western. Should the student not return to Virginia Western, the "I" will revert to a "W" (Withdrawal).
  • The student may be given the option of taking their examinations prior to regularly scheduled times as an exception to VCCS policy 5.6.1.
  • If the student leaves at a point in the semester after which a significant amount of work has been completed, the student may request the assignment of a grade for work completed. This option requires a joint agreement of the student and the faculty member(s).

Upon sudden withdrawal or prolonged absence, students in uniformed service at Virginia Western Community College requesting a refund for textbooks will be refunded the cost of textbooks purchased from the college's local textbook vendor (Follett Higher Education Group), according to the contractual agreement between the college and the bookstore.


The following provisions govern reinstatement to the College upon release or return from service in the uniformed services:

  • The student will be assured a reasonable opportunity to be reinstated to their program of study (if available), without having to reapply for admission if they return to the College after a cumulative absence of not more than five years, and they provide notice of intent to return to the College not later than three years after the completion of the period of service.
  • Relevant exceptions to these timelines can be found in the Higher Education Opportunity Act.
  • Throughout the entire process, the student will have access to advising services to determine the impact of absence from the program, to evaluate the ability to resume study, and to assess options when a program is no longer available or suitable.

Cashier's Office

Location: Chapman Hall
Phone: 540-857-6312
or 540-857-6315


Mon - Fri: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
The Cashier's Office will be closed when the college is closed.

Financial Aid & Student Account Support

Click the logo above for 24/7 help with Financial Aid and your student account!