To find books about herbs, click on the books link from the sidebar on the right. Books on herbs are scattered throughout the collection. Try the following call numbers to browse for books on specific topics.
- Cooking - TX 819
- Gardening - SB 351
- Healing - RM 666
This is a selected list of books about plants being relocated from the reference department to the top floor during the fall semester, 2010.
- RM 666 .H33 O975 The Herbal Internet Companion: Herbs and Herbal Medicine Online
- RM 666 .H33 G69 The People's Pharmacy Guide to Home and Herbal Remedies
- RM 666 .H33 P37 PDR for Herbal Medicines
- RM 666 .H33 W4 The Encyclopedia of Healing Plants: A Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, Flower Essences & Herbal Remedies
- RS 164 .B66 The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to the 50 Most Common Medicinal Herbs
- SB 175 .F332 Cornucopia II: A Source Book of Edible Plants
- SB 317.56 .U6 N67 North American Horticulture: A Reference Guide
- SB 351 .H5 B645 Encyclopedia of Herbs & Their Uses
- SB 351 .H5 C6 Landscaping Herbs
- SB 403.2 .A438 Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
- SB 403.2 .F66 Flora: A Gardener's Encyclopedia
The periodicals are located on the main floor of Brown Library in the reference area. They are arranged in alphabetical order by title. Here is a list of titles in horticulture.
Periodicals Full-Text VIVA
Here is a list of our full-text periodicals available through VIVA. You can search for a specific periodical by title or click on the category tab to search for all the periodicals on a subject such as Agriculture Science. After clicking on Agriculture Science, click on Horticulture and Plant Culture.
To find periodical articles about herbs click on the Databases link from the right sidebar. Start with the ones listed below.
- EBSCO: Academic Search Complete. This is the place to start for general research. Articles may be full-text, abstracts, or citations. In a sample search for red clover I found 499 articles from journals such as Plant Pathology, Journal of Plant Nutrition, and Crop Science. I also found 76 articles from magazines such as Prevention, Mother Earth News, Farmer's Weekly, and Total Health.
- EBSCO: AltHealthWatch - complementary, holistic, and integrative approaches to health care. A good place to find articles on herbs for healing and on the nutritional value of herbs. In this database, I found 177 articles from periodicals such as Better Nutrition, Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients, and the American Herb Association Quarterly Newsletter.
- EBSCO: Associates Programs Source - primary focus on disciplines of study within associate degree programs. Areas explored include agricultural sciences and culinary arts. This is a smaller database than the two listed above. Search all three together for best results.