Historic Newspaper Resources
- HarpWeek - Full-text coverage of Harper's Weekly, America's leading 19th century illustrated newspaper, published from 1857-1912.
- New York Times Article Archive 1851-Present. Search the index for all years. Articles are free from 1851-1922 (public domain) and from 1987-Present.
- World News Digest - This full-text database, published by Facts on File, includes original news articles published from 1940 to the present day.
- Historic Newspapers Online - lists historic newspapers available through the Internet, such as the Virginia Gazette, Richmond Daily Dispatch, and the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Also links to the Valley of the Shadow Project which includes 7 newspapers published in Augusta & Franklin counties during the Civil War era.
- EBSCO - This is the place to start for general research. This group of databases includes: Academic Search Complete, Business Source Complete, Computers & Applied Sciences Complete, CINAHL, and more. Articles may be full-text, abstracts, or citations.
- Factiva - Focus on business and news. Includes newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal, Richmond Times-Dispatch and The Roanoke Times. Other sources include newswires, magazines, trade journals, web sites, company reports, and media transcripts.
- JSTOR - Full-text academic journals covering the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- Project Muse - Full-text journal articles in a wide variety of academic subjects.
- Wiley Online Library- Full-text journal articles in a wide variety of academic subjects.
- America: History and Life - Covers the United States and Canada. Includes journal articles, book and media reviews, and dissertations. Most articles are not full-text. You may wish to limit your search to articles.
- Historical Abstracts - Covers academic historical journals since 1955. Focus is on the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present. These articles are not full-text, but may be obtained through interlibrary loan.
Paper: 1999-2001, 2004-2007 (various)
Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
Paper: 10 years
Publisher: Table of Contents 1996-
Full-text history periodicals through VIVA - Choose the category tab and then choose arts and humanities. Then choose the history subcategory and click go.
Resources for Historical and Primary Research - includes links to 18th & 19th century newspapers, such as the Virginia Gazette.