Virginia Western makes every effort to support its eLearning and off-campus students. Library services may be provided through this web site, supplemented by telephone, email, and shipment of materials by regular mail or UPS. eLearning students are also welcome to come to campus to use Brown Library's resources in-person.
To find a book in Brown Library, please visit the book catalog or to find a magazine or journal, visit periodicals. Additionally, Interlibrary Loan allows you to obtain books, journal articles and other materials that are not available in Brown Library. For help regarding reference materials, use our chat in the left-hand menu.
Occasionally instructors put books and other materials on restricted circulation for use by the whole class. This is the reserve service. Usually reserve materials may be borrowed only for an hour or two and are not allowed to be taken out of the building. Your instructor will tell you if they have materials on reserve. Reserve materials are kept behind a desk and handed to you by a staff member.
Accessing Library Databases
While anyone may access the library catalog, access to our databases is limited to Virginia Western students, dual enrollment students, and employees.
To Access Library Databases:
- Log in to MyVWCC. If you do not know your username or password, use the links on the login page to look up your username and/or reset your password. If you are unable to log in, please contact the Help Desk.
- Once you are logged in, click the Library Services icon. If you receive an error, please call the Library at 540-857-7303.
- Use the Search box to search for your topic, or click the Databases A-Z link in the top right to choose a specific database.
In addition to the main campus, Virginia Western has off-campus facilities where students may take classes, drop off books, and have access to computer resources.
If you choose to drop books off at Franklin or Greenfield, be sure you hand the books to a Virginia Western employee so that they can be returned. Do not just leave them on a desk somewhere.
- Franklin County Workforce Development Center - at 70 Wray Street, Rocky Mount (across the road from the Franklin County High School). There is a resource room with two computers. There is also a Virginia Western classroom in the same building. You may use the computers there to access library databases any time a class is not in session.
- Greenfield Education & Training Center - in Botetourt County, you may leave books in that building at the reception desk which is staffed day and night. There is also a resource room with a computer that you may use for research.
Book Delivery Services
If you live outside the Roanoke Valley area and do not take on-campus classes, you may request that a book be mailed to you. You may then mail the book back (at your own expense) to us at our address to the right. Please be aware that you are responsible for replacement charges should the book become lost in the mail.
Alternatively, you may come to the library in person and drop off the books. Books can be returned at any time, day or night, because the library has an outside mailbox-like book return, along the curb across from the back of the campus bookstore.
Please contact the library's Circulation Department at 540-857-6941 or for additional information.
Hours of Operation
(Top Floor - Brown Library)
3095 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015