Located on the 2nd floor (top floor) of Brown Library, the Writing Center is a walk-in service where students can get help with writing assignments from any VWCC course in all stages of the writing process—from invention strategies to critiquing a rough draft or finished text. Students can also get help with general questions about writing, grammar, punctuation, literary terms, documentation, etc. Students are served in the Writing Center in half-hour to 45-minute increments on a first-come, first-served basis. The Writing Center's goal is to make students better writers not to turn out better pieces of writing.
Students requesting Writing Center assistance will be asked to log in and out of the Writing Center kiosk each time they visit. Instructors will be notified of Writing Center Visits.
Tips for Getting the Most from your Writing Center Visit
- Come prepared with your textbook; your assignment instructions if you need assistance with a paper you’ve been assigned; handouts; source material; drafts; etc.
- Make sure any drafts you bring in are legibly handwritten or typed.
- Identify two or three specific areas of concern that you’d like a Writing Center Consultant to help you with before your visit.
- If you have general questions about aspects of writing, grammar, documentation, etc., prepare your questions before you come to the writing center.
- Don’t expect the Writing Center Consultant to write your paper or provide you with a thesis statement, or in other way to do the work that you have been assigned to do. You are responsible for your personal academic honesty.
For additional academic resources, please visit the Academic Link’s Smart Moves InfoGuide.
Location: Brown Library - Top (2nd) Floor
Writing Center Hours