How to Become a Tutor
Would you like to become a tutor for the Academic Link? Here is how:
- Be a current or former VWCC student, a student at another college, or a qualified member of the community.
- Have an A or high B in the subject for which you'd like to tutor and/or professional experience that qualifies you to tutor the subject.
- Have an overall 3.0 GPA on all current and previous college work.
- Maintain a 3.0 overall GPA during the time you're employed as a tutor (current college students only).
- Download and complete the Tutor Application (DOCX).
- Submit the completed application, along with the required documentation, to the Academic Link Coordinator either electronically at or in person at the Resource Desk in the Link Learning Commons (main floor of Brown Library).
What hours would I have to work? Tutors generally set their own hours; however, applicants should have at least 10 hours per week available to devote to tutoring.
How much are tutors paid? The hourly wage starts at $9.00 per hour for tutors who have not yet earned at least an associate's degree. The hourly wage increases with each degree earned. Tutors may also be eligible for $.25 hourly wage increases each fall and spring semester that they work – up to a maximum of $1.00 above the starting wage, not including any increases for additional degrees.
Can I tutor students at off campus locations? No. All tutoring must be done on campus during hours the campus is open.
Will I receive any training? Yes. All new tutors are required to go through paid training of 1-2 days.
Can I tutor a class I'm currently taking? No. Tutors must have completed a class with a high B or A before they can tutor for that class.
Link Learning Commons
Location: Brown Library - Main Floor
Academic Link Coordinator
Location: Brown Library B103