The Learning Resources group at Virginia Western is comprised of five departments with the goal of promoting increased student success through the application of technology, training and services that foster and strengthen effective teaching and learning throughout the college. We strive to deliver the most effective resources for teaching and learning to our students, faculty and staff through a comprehensive set of services including testing, learning assistance/tutoring, library services, electronic learning, instructional design and educational technology with a steadfast dedication to outstanding customer service. The Learning Resources group is committed to continuously improving these resources by introducing and supporting the latest innovations in education to our campus community.
The Academic Link
The Academic Link connects students to academic success by providing the academic support that fosters the acquisition of the critical learning skills that make students better learners. The Link’s free services include academic success coaching; one-on-one, group, and online tutoring; and math, science, and writing walk-in tutoring centers.
As a center for academic life, Brown Library provides a friendly and comfortable physical facility where users are empowered to connect with information and with each other. The Library provides resources and services needed by students (both on-campus and off-campus) to fulfill the reading and research requirements of the College's course offerings. Library staff teach students how to use the resources and services of a 21st-century library and show them the value of doing so. The Library continues to enhance and preserve our print collection while fostering digital collections and services to give all Virginia Western students every opportunity to succeed in their academic ventures.
Brown Library's mission is
- To provide quality resources and information services for students, staff, and faculty.
- To prepare patrons to efficiently locate, evaluate, and use information.
- To promote information literacy for student success.
eLearning & Instructional Technology
The mission of the Department of eLearning and Instructional Technology (eLIT) is to support and empower faculty, staff, and students in their use of instructional strategies and technologies that promote effective learning outcomes in online, hybrid, and technology-enhanced learning environments.
Our goals are to:
- Utilize eLearning technologies to support faculty and staff with their teaching and learning goals. These technologies include are but not limited to: Blackboard Learn, Blackboard Collaborate, Panopto Lecture Capture System, Atomic Learning, Respondus Exam Software, Respondus LockDown Browser, SafeAssign, and StudyMate.
- Provide instructional technology resources, services, and training for faculty, staff, and students to maintain and manage a sound online, hybrid, and technology-enhanced learning environment.
- Assist faculty in the application of research-based instructional design principles to ensure that appropriate learning outcomes are achieved.
- Promote the use of technology and best practices in enhancing teaching and learning.
- Examine emerging technologies that may lead to improvements in teaching and learning.
- Encourage faculty participation in distance learning initiatives and provide assistance and support in the development of courses and the use of appropriate learning technologies.
- Provide faculty development opportunities to enable faculty to work more effectively with technology in an eLearning environment.
The Media Geeks provide instructional technology services for the Virginia Western campus community including the following:
- Providing instructional media design and delivery
- Designing, deploying and supporting classroom technology
- Supporting the lecture capture system, Panopto
- Recording and live streaming video for special events and presentations around the college and providing sound and lighting assistance for same
- Researching, promoting and supporting innovation in technology used for teaching and learning
The Testing Center administers the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English & math, as well as proctored exams for all asynchronous distance learning courses. As a service to the community, the Center also administers proctored tests and special tests.
TRiO Student Support Services, or TRiO Pathways at Virginia Western Community College (VWCC), is an educational grant funded by the Department of Education (DOE). TRiO Pathways offers 250 eligible VWCC students additional support to achieve academic success, including instructional support services, advising, and counseling.