eLearning & Instructional Technology :: Student Tutorials
The Discussion Board is a communication tool that can enhance the interactivity within a distance learning course by sharing thoughts and ideas about class materials. Topics are posted to the Discussion Board so that course participants can reply and discuss the topic on-line. This feature is similar to a Chat but is designed for asynchronous use so that course participants do not have to be online at the same time to have a conversation.
Creating New Threads in Discussion Board Forums
(this option is available only if allowed by your instructor)
- Login to your Blackboard account and go to your Blackboard course.
- Click the menu item named Discussion Board in the course menu area.
- Click the desired forum link to open the forum. The area to the right of the forum indicates the total number of posts, unread posts, and total forum participants.
- After opening the Forum View screen, it will display the date, time, and author information for any threads already posted. Click the button Create Thread to create a new thread.
- Complete the Subject and Message fields and attach any files if necessary.
- When completed, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Submit.
Note: You will notice there is a Save Draft button available. Choosing Save Draft will keep a draft copy of the thread which can be opened, re-edited, and submitted at a later time. To display any previously saved drafts, you must choose Show All or Drafts Only from the Display options at the top of the Forum View page.
Replying to an Existing Thread
- Click on the name of the thread to which you wish to reply.
- Click Reply to post a comment to this message.
- The subject line automatically refers to the previous message. Enter the reply content in the message box. To view the post to which you are replying while you type your message, click Show Parent Post and the post will appear above the Subject box.
- To post your reply on the discussion board, click the Submit button. Your reply will display on the discussion board beneath the original post.
- If your instructor already activated the function for rating individual posts within discussion board for peer review purposes, you can rate posts in the forum on a scale of one to five stars. Click on the stars to rate the post.
Location: Link Learning Commons