eLearning & Instructional Technology :: Student Tutorials
- Learning Resources Home
- eLIT Home
- Online Programs
- Canvas InfoGuides
- About Distance Learning
- Getting Started
- Orientation (Online & On-Campus)
- Shared Distance Learning (SSDL) Courses
- Student Tutorials
- Student FAQ
- Instructor Tutorials
- Instructor FAQ
- TOTAL Workshops
- Forms & Docs
- Proctored Testing
Introduction to Blackboard
Login to Blackboard
To access Blackboard from the VWCC main web page, you click the MyVWCC link at the top of the page. You will need to enter your username and password on the next screen. On the next screen, you will select the button for Blackboard.
To access Blackboard more directly, enter http://learn.vccs.edu in your browser. Enter your MyVWCC username and password and click the Login button to continue.
The welcome screen appears next. The precise appearance and contents of each user's welcome screen vary based on individual settings and course association. It can be customized to your preferences. The tabs at the top of the page allow you to access many of the great features provided to you by the VCCS Blackboard staff. To get to your Blackboard courses, click the LEARN tab at the top of the page or any of the links in the My Blackboard Courses panel.
When your work within Blackboard is completed, it is important to remember to logout, particularly if you are working from a shared computer or in a shared space. To logout, click the Logout link at the top of the page.
Modify My Blackboard Courses Listing
After several semesters of classes, students may find the "My Courses" listing becoming very lengthy, making it difficult to locate current courses. It is an easy process to hide a course so it no longer appears in the course list:
- Within the My Blackboard Courses area, click on the second icon that appears in the upper right corner (resembles a gear):
- The Personalize: My Blackboard Courses page appears with a list of all enrolled courses. Remove all checkmarks in the entire row for any course(s) you no longer want to see on the list. Note: This process does not affect your enrollment in the course and it does not remove the course from the Blackboard system.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Submit.
Your instructors may place course materials (such as PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, or images) in the Blackboard course website. These items can be placed in many different areas in Blackboard. Some types of computer files, such as images or video, can be viewed inside the Blackboard window. Other types of files, such as Word documents, are stored on the Blackboard server and must be downloaded and opened onto your computer.
- Login to your Blackboard account.
- Open the course that you wish to view.
- Go to the section of the course containing the file you wish to view. For example: if the file is in the Course Documents section, click on the Course Documents link in the course menus area on the left.
- Find the name of the item you wish to view.
- To download a course document, right mouse click on the link and select Save Target As (using Internet Explorer) or select Save Link As (using Mozilla Firefox).
- Select the location on your computer to save the file. Note where the file is saved so you can access it later.
- Click Save.
- You must have the correct program installed to open the file.
Location: Link Learning Commons