Institutional Review Board
The purpose of the Virginia Western Institutional Review Board (IRB) is to ensure, both in advance and by periodic review, that appropriate steps are taken to protect the rights and welfare of humans participating as subjects in research studies conducted by or with Virginia Western Community College employees or students or on Virginia Western campuses.
The IRB does not assume the role of evaluating the soundness of the proposed research study, the merits of the research design, nor the potential contribution of the research to the scholarly literature. The IRB is charged with evaluating each project's compliance with ethical standards in regard to issues such as informed consent, confidentiality, and any risk to the participants.
Handbook materials reviewed and updated November 2014.
Institutional Review Board Handbook
- Principal Investigator Responsibilities (PDF)
- Approval Process (PDF)
- STEP 1: Is it research on human subjects? (PDF)
- STEP 2: Documentation of Training in Human Subject Protection (PDF)
- STEP 3: IRB Application
- STEP 4: Submit all materials to . WAIT to get approval before starting your research.
- What is informed consent? (PDF)
- What if I need to change my research procedures? Modification of Research Request (PDF)
- What if unexpected things happen? (PDF)
- What if my approval will expire before my research is entirely done? Submit an Extension Request
- FINAL STEP: Complete Close Out Report at the end of your research (PDF)
- IRB Membership (PDF)
- IRB Member Responsibilities (PDF)
- Types of Review (PDF)
- Criteria for Approval (PDF)
- Decision Charts (PDF)
- Documentation of Education on the Protection of Human Subjects (PDF)
Location: Fishburn Hall F110
3093 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015