Educational Foundation Scholarships
The Virginia Western Community College Educational Foundation supports more than 85 scholarships for credit and noncredit courses. Students are eligible to apply each semester for awards that range from $500 to $2,000.
Contact Scholarship Coordinator Carolyn Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-857-6371 with any questions.
How to Apply
The Educational Foundation is using an online application process and ONLY online applications will be accepted.
Before beginning the online application process, assemble the required information below.
- Know your current cumulative high school or Virginia Western grade point average, and the number of Virginia Western credits you have earned, if applicable.
- Copy of your most recent academic transcript
- Have a copy of your signed tax return, or your parents' signed tax return if you are a dependent.
Prepare a 250-word essay that addresses one of the following topics. Consult the Scholarship Essay Writing Tips (PDF) for assistance in completing
your essay. If you have received a Foundation scholarship in previous years, you must address a different topic on your Fall 2015 application.
- What is a societal problem you believe needs to be addressed? Explain why and how.
- Discuss a special attribute or accomplishment that makes you unique.
- Who in your life has been your biggest influence and why? Do not include an immediate family member.
- Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
- Choose a book or books that have affected you deeply and explain why.
- Please review the online application in its entirety before completing.
To apply for any Educational Foundation scholarship, you must:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- Enroll in a minimum of six (6) credits, unless the scholarship you are applying for requires you to enroll in more. Full-time enrollment is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per semester.