- Foundation Home
- About Us ▼
- Scholarships ▼
- Giving ▼
- Student Assistance Fund
- News & Publications ▼
- Coming Events
- Make College Possible
The Virginia Western Community College Educational Foundation supports more than 85 scholarships for credit and noncredit courses. Students are eligible to apply each semester for awards that range from $500 to $2,000.
The Fall 2018 Scholarship application will be available March 19 – May 20, 2018.
Contact Scholarship Coordinator Carolyn Payne at or 540-857-6371 with any questions.
News & Announcements
Assemble the following items before beginning the application:
- Know your current cumulative high school or Virginia Western grade point average (GPA), and the number of Virginia Western credits you have earned, if applicable.
- Copy of your most recent academic transcript (may be unofficial)
- Copy of your signed tax return if self-supporting, your parents' signed tax return if dependent, or the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 FAFSA Student Aid Report.
Prepare a 250-word essay in Microsoft Word that addresses one of the following topics. Consult the Scholarship Essay Writing Tips (PDF) for assistance in completing
your essay. If you have received a Foundation scholarship in previous years, you must address a different topic on the essay for the current application.
- What is a societal problem you believe needs to be addressed? Explain why and how.
- Discuss a special attribute or accomplishment that makes you unique.
- Who in your life has been your biggest influence and why? Do not include an immediate family member.
- Pick a controversial topic on college campuses and suggest a solution.
- Choose a book or books that have affected you deeply and explain why.
- Please review the online application in its entirety before completing.
Click on "How to Apply Step by Step" (PDF) to see all steps to submit a complete application.
To apply for any Educational Foundation scholarship, you must:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- Enroll in a minimum of six (6) credits, unless the scholarship you are applying for requires you to enroll in more. Full-time enrollment is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
Location: Fishburn Hall, F214
All users: 711
3093 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Mon-Fri: 8:00 AM-5:00 PM