The Virginia Western Community College Educational Foundation supports more than 85 scholarships for credit and noncredit courses. Students are eligible to apply each semester for awards that range from $500 to $2,000.
The Fall 2017 Scholarship application is now open. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM, Friday, May 19, 2017. After that time, the above application will no longer be active.
Contact Scholarship Coordinator Carolyn Payne at or 540-857-6371 with any questions.
News & Announcements
Assemble the following items before beginning the application:
- Know your current cumulative high school or Virginia Western grade point average, and the number of Virginia Western credits you have earned, if applicable.
- Copy of your most recent academic transcript (may be unofficial)
- Copy of your signed tax return if self-supporting, or your parents' signed tax return if you are a dependent.
Prepare a 250-word essay in Microsoft Word that addresses one of the following topics. Consult the Scholarship Essay Writing Tips (PDF) for assistance in completing
your essay. If you have received a Foundation scholarship in previous years, you must address a different topic on the essay for the current application.
- What is a societal problem you believe needs to be addressed? Explain why and how.
- Discuss a special attribute or accomplishment that makes you unique.
- Who in your life has been your biggest influence and why? Do not include an immediate family member.
- Pick a controversial topic on college campuses and suggest a solution.
- Choose a book or books that have affected you deeply and explain why.
- Please review the online application in its entirety before completing.
To apply for any Educational Foundation scholarship, you must:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- Enroll in a minimum of six (6) credits, unless the scholarship you are applying for requires you to enroll in more. Full-time enrollment is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
Location: Fishburn Hall, F214
All users: 711
3093 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Mon-Fri: 8:00 AM-5:00 PM