Enrollment Center :: Applying to Virginia Western
Students on Probation, Suspension or Dismissal
Virginia Western will consider for admissions those applicants who were in poor academic standing at the college last attended.
These applicants may be admitted with academic restrictions.
These applicants are eligible after one semester has passed. They may be admitted after meeting the following conditions:
- Completion of the Petition for Admission/Reinstatement (PDF) form
- Receive approval from the Chair of the Admissions Committee
- Completion of appropriate academic assessment
- Upon recommendation of a Virginia Western Community College academic advisor
Exceptions to the waiting period of one semester may be made if one of the following conditions exists:
- Students wishing to enter a different curriculum and have at least a 2.0 on the courses applicable to the new curriculum;
- Students who were suspended for low cumulative GPA and have an acceptable curriculum GPA;
- Noncurricular students wishing to take courses that are primarily job training;
Students who feel they have mitigating circumstances should complete the Petition for Admission/Reinstatement (PDF) and direct a letter to the Admissions Committee asking for acceptance. The letter must address the following:
- The course or courses desired;
- The goal or curriculum which will be pursued;
- A statement explaining the academic difficulty that led to suspension;
- An explanation of what has been done to enhance the student's chance for success.
Applicants who have been academically dismissed may appeal to the Admissions Committee for admission if they feel mitigating circumstances warrant consideration. Academic dismissal normally is permanent unless, with good cause, students apply and are accepted under special consideration for admission by the Admissions Committee of the College. A Petition for Admission/Reinstatement (PDF) and formal written appeal should be directed to the Admissions Committee containing the following:
- The course(s) the applicant wishes to take
- The curriculum the applicant wishes to enter and the goal concerning education
- A statement on why the applicant had academic difficulty that led to dismissal
- A strong case on behalf of the applicant as to why success is expected in the third or more attempt at college level education. These applicants may be requested to provide additional information on an individual basis.
All documents must be submitted two weeks prior to the begin date of the desired term of entry.
Ready to Apply?
Location: Chapman Hall C108
Mon - Thu: 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Fri: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM