Skip to main content

Register for summer & fall courses now!
Class Schedule | Online Advising | Online Financial Aid

The VWCC campus is closed until further notice. Updates will be provided as soon as possible. More info.


Enrollment Center :: International Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to take classes during the summer?

For all students on an F-1 Student Visa, summer attendance is optional. During the summer months, and only during the summer months, students may attend full-time, part-time, or not at all.

How many distance learning classes may I take?

As an F-1 student, you are permitted to take only 3 credits as a web-based or distance learning class. However, if you are registered for 3 credits by distance learning and 9 credits on-campus, then you may take more distance learning courses above the 3. During the semester you are not permitted to drop any of the 9 on-campus hours, even though you may be still carrying 12 or more hours total.

Do I need to file taxes?

All International Students on the F-1 Student Status must now file with the IRS each and every year by April 15th, even if you did not work. If you are single and not married, use the 1040NR-EZ form (PDF). If you are married, use the 1040NR form. If you had no income for the previous year, you can file with Form 8843 (PDF).

What do I need to know to travel?

Traveling in the U.S.: Always carry your original I-20, I-94 card and passport when traveling.

Traveling outside the U.S: Visit the International Education office to have your I-20 signed prior to leaving.

What is a deportable offense?

Attending school less than full-time (12 hours) is now a deportable offense. Any student who drops below full-time for any Fall or Spring semester without first gaining permission from the International Education Coordinator will be considered out of status and designated as deportable by BICE. The college is now required to report all students with I-20s who drop below full-time without permission.

Additionally, you may not work off-campus without employment authorization. If caught, you could be barred from the U.S. for life.


Rick Robers

Location: Chapman Hall C108
Phone: 540-857-6511