Register for Dual Enrollment
Students should discuss with their guidance department their interest in registering for a dual enrollment class. Before you can register, you must apply to Virginia Western and complete the Virginia Placement Testing in Mathematics and English.
Apply to Virginia Western
Please take a few moments to review the VCCS Application Tutorial (PDF)
If you have previously applied to VWCC for summer programs or previous dual enrollment classes but your account has become inactive, you will need to know your Student ID Number (Emplid). If you do not know it, you can look it up here.
Once you have reviewed the steps and are ready to apply, begin in our Enrollment Center!
After You Apply
- When you have completed the application, you will receive your Student ID Number (Emplid). Write this down and put it in a safe place. You will need this number to register for classes, take placement tests, obtain your transcript, or any other communication with the college. It is very important that you keep this number ALWAYS.
- Have your parent(s) fill out the Under 18 Signature Page (PDF) and return that to your high school guidance department or to the VWCC Enrollment Center.
- Your next step is to complete the Virginia Placement Testing (VPT) in English and Mathematics. This must be done before we can enroll you in any dual enrollment class. Review the chart here for alternative scores like SAT, ACT, PSAT and SOL that you could use instead of the taking the VPT. If you want to use an alternative score, you need to contact your high school guidance department. The high school will send that information to the college when you request it.
You may also need to complete the following forms and submit them to your high school Guidance Counselor. Both forms are in PDF format.
- Information Release Form (FERPA) (all students)
- High School/Home-School Request for Admissions Form (9th & 10th graders)
Register for Dual Enrollment Classes
High school student class registration is submitted through your high school guidance department. First, you must apply to Virginia Western (see above). After you apply:
- Discuss with your guidance department which class(es) you wish to register for.
- Complete Virginia Placement Testing. This must be completed before you can register.
- Provide your testing results and your Student ID Number (Emplid) to your high school guidance department.
The high school guidance department will then submit the enrollment request to the college.
Dr. Kathryn H. Beard
Location: Fishburn Hall F125C
3093 Colonial Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24015