Community College Access Program

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Community College Access Program (CCAP)?

CCAP is a program that makes college available tuition-free to 2015 graduates of public high schools in the localities of Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem. CCAP is also available to Franklin County homeschooled students. CCAP covers the cost of tuition for two years at Virginia Western Community College. CCAP supports as many students as possible based on student need and funds available for the program.

How do I know if I am eligible for CCAP?

To be eligible for consideration for CCAP, you must:

  • Graduate as a member of the 2015 class with a diploma from one of the public high schools in the localities of Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem and have attended one of the public high schools in the localities of Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem for at least your junior and senior years, and graduate with the following minimum cumulative midterm grade point average (GPA) based on the locality from which you are applying:
    • Botetourt County = 2.5 GPA
    • Craig County = 2.5 GPA
    • Franklin County = 2.5 GPA
    • Roanoke City = 2.0 GPA
    • Roanoke County - 2.5 GPA
    • Salem = 2.5 GPA
  • Provide proof of residency in Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County or Salem for at least the student’s junior and senior year of high school. You must provide one document from Column A and one document from Column B of the Proof of Residency Sample Guide. Students must provide proof of residency based on the locality from which you are applying.
  • Meet the February 27, 2015 deadline for submission of application materials (including the application and proof of residency), take the placement tests at Virginia Western in the Testing Center, and file the current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Have a completed Virginia Western financial aid file, meeting all CCAP deadlines. The Financial Aid Department will assist you to ensure you have a completed financial aid file with the college. Please direct all financial aid questions to the Financial Aid Department at 540-857-7331 or
  • Enroll at Virginia Western in a degree/diploma/certificate program that meets the federal financial aid requirements in the fall semester immediately following your 2015 high school graduation.
  • Take the required Virginia Western placement tests in the Testing Center. If more than two (2) developmental courses are needed, you will not be eligible for the program; however, you may still be eligible to attend Virginia Western. Students must meet with a Virginia Western Academic Advisor to have their test scores interpreted.

What additional criteria do I need to meet to REMAIN eligible for CCAP?

There are several criteria that students must continue to meet to remain eligible for participation in the program:

  • You must maintain a cumulative overall GPA to remain eligible for program assistance, based on the program for which you are accepted:
    • Botetourt County = 2.5 GPA
    • Craig County = 2.5 GPA
    • Franklin County = 2.5 GPA
    • Roanoke City = 2.0 GPA
    • Roanoke County - 2.5 GPA
    • Salem = 2.5 GPA

    Students who do not maintain the above cumulative GPA at the end of any semester will not be eligible to receive CCAP funds during any subsequent semester.

    PLEASE NOTE: CCAP will pay for up to two (8) developmental credits (if needed), during the first year of the program.

  • Students must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours and a maximum of 15 credit hours per semester in a specific program of study. If funding is available, students may enroll in a maximum of 6 credits during the 2016 summer semester to help fulfill their specific program of study requirements.
  • If in any semester a student withdraws from classes, falls below the full-time minimum requirement and/or required GPA, or does not meet certain other performance requirements, the student must reimburse the program for his/her tuition paid by CCAP that semester, and will no longer be eligible for CCAP funding in future semesters.
  • Students are required to take and complete a one (1) credit Student Development Course (SDV) during their first semester.
  • Students are required to attend a Virginia Western Discover orientation session.
  • Students must complete a Community Service Learning Project during the fall and spring semester each year they participate in the program.

If I complete the CCAP application process does that mean I am automatically in the CCAP?

No, CCAP acceptance is dependent on two things:

  1. You must meet the eligibility requirements and complete the application process satisfactorily.
  2. CCAP is dependent upon support annually from public and private sources so the amount of CCAP funds available may vary from year to year.

When will I hear if I have been accepted to CCAP or not?

The Educational Foundation makes every attempt to notify students with a conditional acceptance letter by the end of May. Students who have been conditionally accepted must attend a mandatory acceptance meeting with their parent or guardian in May 2015. Those dates for the mandatory acceptance meetings (there are three to choose from) are announced in January when the application is made available. At the mandatory meeting students will get detailed information about the program and will sign an agreement with the Educational Foundation regarding their participation.

If I am accepted into CCAP and do not fulfill the requirements of the program as detailed in the agreement I signed with the Educational Foundation what will happen?

If you do not fulfill the requirements of the CCAP as detailed by the agreement that you have signed with the Educational Foundation you must reimburse the Educational Foundation any tuition paid by CCAP for that semester and will no longer be eligible for CCAP in future semesters.

May I take on-line courses to fulfill my full-time requirement?

You may NOT take an on-line course during your first semester at Virginia Western. You may take an on-line course during your second, third or fourth semester or summer class, but you must be approved by Virginia Western to do so.

Is the cost of summer tuition covered?

Yes, if funds are available. CCAP students may enroll in six (6) credits during the summer semester following your first year of successfully completed courses. You must inform the program of your intention to enroll in summer classes on your Current Program Participant CCAP Application. Remember, CCAP will not pay for any developmental course credits during the summer semester.

If I am receiving full Financial Aid, am I still included in CCAP?

Yes, you may participate in CCAP! The Community College Access Program covers tuition for up to and including 15 credits, either through the financial aid process or, if financial aid does not cover your tuition, through CCAP funding. Participants receiving full financial aid are still required to meet all program deadlines and requirements to maintain eligibility for the program in future semesters. It is also important to remain in the CCAP program because your financial situation may change from year to year.

How do I update my contact information?

It is imperative that you inform the Educational Foundation of any change to your physical address, email address, telephone, or other important contact information. To update your information please contact us.

What is the CCAP Service Learning Project?

The CCAP Community Service Learning Project for 2015-2016 will be determined at a later date and program participants will be notified at the mandatory meeting in May, as well as through their Virginia Western email.

My student account shows that I have a balance due for my tuition or I am showing no anticipated aid. Will my classes be dropped for non-payment?

No. Students who are awarded CCAP funding will have their award placed on their student account prior to the start of fall semester classes.

Give Now to CCAP

VWCC Alerts

We use VW Alert to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency.

Get more info and register