Pharmacy Technician – Career & Corporate Training (Non-Credit Courses)
*Offered 2020-21 SY ONLY
- Applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to the college.
- Students must complete the Academy Application and the Virginia Placement Test (VPT). Scores on the VPT must equate to "Placed ENG 111" and MTE 1 (or equivalent).
- One year program designed for High School aged 12th graders.
- Students must be 18 to sit for the Certified Pharmacy Technician exam
- Students must successfully complete a criminal background check, drug test, and any other health screenings prior to participating in the Apprenticeship placements (fee applies) if required by the employer
Cohort must be 12 students to operate.
Tuition Assistance may be available through a grant provided by the Claude Moore Charitable Foundation.
Purpose: This academy will be offered for one year for high school seniors who did not have the Medical Coding Academy. Participants of this program may be eligible to take the Certified Pharmacy Technician exam and participate in area Apprenticeships.
Program Objectives: Pharmacy technicians are cross-trained in customer service and technical skills to provide safe and effective patient care in retail, hospital, and community pharmacies. The pharmacy is often the most accessible form of health care, and pharmacy technicians play a vital role in hospitals, health systems, and community, grocery or drug store pharmacies. Pharmacy technicians are comfortable communicating with diverse audiences, performing data entry with various software programs, problem solving to work in a busy environment, and maintaining professionalism to provide quality patient care. This course will prepare you to support pharmacists to provide safe and effective patient care.
Dr. Kathryn H. Beard, Dual Enrollment Coordinator
Kelly Albert, Dual Enrollment Specialist
Location: Fishburn Hall F125C
Mailing Address 3093 Colonial Ave SW Roanoke, VA 24015