School of Health Professions :: Programs of Study
Phlebotomy - Career Studies Certificate
This curriculum is designed to prepare students to perform the responsibilities of an entry-level phlebotomy technician. Students will learn venipuncture, heel, and finger stick techniques for adult and pediatric patients. Students will also be introduced to techniques of specimen preparations, interpretation of nurses and physicians orders, and proper techniques for handling of blood specimens.
About Phlebotomists (Occupational Outlook Handbook)
If you are interested in applying to the VWCC Phlebotomy program, we encourage you to explore the information linked in the left menu to learn more about the process. If you need further assistance, you may contact our office.
The Career Studies Certificate in Phlebotomy prepares students for a career in obtaining blood samples from patients in health care settings.
To effectively implement the program mission, the college and program faculty have made a commitment to:
- Prepare technical personnel capable of performance in venipuncture and dermal puncture collection, handling, and processing.
- Instill in students the principles of ethical conduct and a sense of concerned patient care.
- Provide students with the ability to follow written and verbal instructions, organize work, transfer information from one situation to another, demonstrate problem-solving skills, and communicate effectively with patients and members of the health care delivery team.
- Provide students with the skills necessary to continue professional growth through lifelong learning.
- Provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to pass certification examinations.
Location: Fralin Center HP339
3091 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Jeffrey S. Gillette
A.A.S. - Monroe Community College, 1985
B.S. - Daemen College, 1987
M.S. - University of Rochester, 1993
Ph.D. - N.C. State University, 2000
School of Health Professions
Carole S. Graham, Dean
Administration & business contacts
Location: Fralin Center HP214C