School of Health Professions :: Programs of Study
LPN to Nursing AAS Bridge Program :: FAQ
Click on a question to read the answer!
>> Is the program accredited?
Virginia Western's nursing program is fully approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing, making graduates eligible to take the state licensing exam (NCLEX-RN) to gain employment and/or transfer to other nursing programs. More about Virginia Western's accreditations.
The nursing program does not hold the voluntary Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accreditation. The Virginia Western nursing program meets all the mandatory accreditations and approvals.
>> What are the prerequisite and GPA requirements for 2020 consideration?
- Must have one unit of the following high school courses (or college equivalent) with a grade of "C" or higher by the end of Fall 2019:
- Algebra I (or MTE 1-5)
- Biology/lab (Bio 101 or Nas 2)
- Chemistry/lab (Chm 5)
- The following college level prerequisites must also be completed ("C" or better) by the end of Fall 2019:
- BIO 141 (or equivalent) - Human Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 142 (or equivalent) - Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- ENG 111 - College Composition I
- PSY 230 - Developmental Psychology
- SDV 101 (2 credits) - Orientation to Health Professions
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) must be > 2.0 at the end of Fall 2019 semester to be eligible for the 2020 program (based on the most recent school with a GPA calculated on at least 12 college credit hours within a one year timeframe).
- Pre-requisite GPA must be > 2.5 at the end of the Fall 2019 semester (GPA of your grades for BIO 141, BIO 142, ENG 111, PSY 230, and SDV 101).
- A nursing entrance examination (KAPLAN) will be required in December for all applicants being considered for the transition program. The KAPLAN RN entrance test covers the following topic areas: Math, Science, Reading, Writing, and includes an evaluation of Critical Thinking. Scores in all categories of the KAPLAN must be above the 45th percentile. Any applicant who has even one score below 45% will have their name removed from further consideration.
A deficiency in a science course may be satisfied by completing one semester of an equivalent or higher level college course. Applicants with a deficiency in mathematics must meet with the advisor after completing placement testing to determine the required developmental courses to satisfy requirements.
Please be advised that meeting the above minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
>> Is admission to the program very competitive?
Admission to the nursing program at VWCC has been very competitive. LPN transition applicants should be aware that meeting the curriculum admission standards does not guarantee program admission. In the event the number of qualified applicants exceeds the space available for transition students, applicants will be considered based on the scores of the nursing entrance test (Kaplan) and GPAs.
>> How long does the transition program take?
The time an individual may work on transition prerequisite requirements varies by student. Applicants have different academic backgrounds (someone may need all the prerequisites or others may have all prereqs satisfied). Once accepted into NSG 115 (only begins in the summer), the transition course sequence takes 1 calendar year (summer, fall, spring), if successful. The nursing content will include lecture, nursing skills lab, simulation labs, clinical experiences and required orientations to clinical facilities.
You should expect the clinical assignments to take place primarily weekdays (can be 8 or 12-hr.). However, there can be special one-time assignments for a Saturday or a night shift.
Location: Fralin Center HP339
3091 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Director of Nursing
A.A.S. in Nursing - Northern Virginia Community College, 1999
B.S. in Nursing - George Mason University, 2010
M.S. in Adult Learning & Human Development - Virginia Tech, 2012
M.S. in Nursing - Western Governor's University, 2016
School of Health Professions
Carole S. Graham, Dean
Administration & business contacts
Location: Fralin Center HP214C