Academics :: Curriculum Advisory Committee
Curriculum advisory committees act in an advisory capacity to advise college personnel regarding instructional programs in specific occupational or technical areas. Committees meet at least annually, or as needed to review curricula and community needs.
- Assist the community college in the establishment of occupational/technical programs and curricula.
- Help identify present and future occupational needs within the college service area and the skills and knowledge required by prospective employees.
- Advise the community college concerning employment practices; specific certification and licensure requirements; and job entry educational levels required by business, industry, and the professions.
- Review and submit recommendations regarding specific program proposals, specialized equipment and facility requirements for new or innovative programs.
- Review curriculum and recommend changes based on current industry needs.
- Participate in the evaluation of community college programs as they relate to the educational and occupational needs of the region.
- Assist in the recruitment of students.
- Publicize the college programs and employment opportunities.
- Encourage student scholarships and other financial aids.
- Assist the community college in the recruitment of faculty. Upon request, the committee may recommend competent personnel from business and industry as potential lecturers, adjunct faculty or instructors.
- Promote understanding and support of the community college and its programs.
- Assist the community college in the conduct of regional studies or surveys.
College Mission, Vision, Core Values & Institutional Goals
Curriculum Advisory Committee members are officially appointed by the Virginia Western Community College Board upon recommendation of the President. The members are selected from lists of nominees that are recommended to the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs by the School Deans who have supervisory responsibility over the college's occupational and technical programs. Curriculum Advisory Committee members serve one-year appointments, which begin in January and end in December.
Local Advisory Committees (Section 5.2.4 VCCS Policy Manual)
Local advisory committees must be consulted for the establishment and review of all career/technical degree and stand-alone certificate programs. These committees shall be appointed by the community college president with the approval of the local college board.
Local Advisory Committees for Specialized Programs (Section 2A IX.E. VCCS Policy Manual)
Local advisory committees for specialized programs and occupational/technical curricula shall be utilized in the establishment and evaluation of such programs and curricula.
School Deans will appoint a recording secretary and any other personnel from the college staff who are needed to support the work of the Curriculum Advisory Committees. Minutes for each meeting will be kept and a copy will be filed in the office of the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs within ten working days after the meeting.
Committees by School (PDF)
Current Committee Memberships (PDF)
Current Committee Memberships by Employer (PDF)
Committee Manual (PDF)
Open Letter of Appreciation to Committee Members (PDF)