Skip to main content

Spring classes are still available. Summer registration opens 3/1!
Click here to view the class schedule | Make an appointment with an advisor

About VWCC

About Virginia Western :: College Policies

I-34: Student Permanent Record

Policy Number: I-34
Last Reviewed: January 11, 2017
Responsible Dept.: Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs

A signed copy of this policy is available in the President's Office.

The Records Office maintains records for each student attending, or who has attended, the College. A record of the student’s grades and courses taken will be permanently maintained in electronic format. This permanent, electronic record meets the guidelines set up by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and includes:

  • The credits transferred from other institutions, including the number of credit hours given (the number of hours may change if the student transfers from one curriculum to another)
  • The semester in which the student is currently enrolled
  • The student's social security number or ID number
  • The Academic Program and Plan
  • The course number, course title, the hours attempted, the hours completed, and the grade for each course. Course section shall be optional;
  • A grade point average for each semester attended;
  • The cumulative grade point average of the student; and
  • Academic action taken against the student including academic probation, suspension, and dismissal.
  • Degrees, diplomas, certificates, honors

A file will be maintained during the student's enrollment at the College, but will be destroyed after three years of non-attendance. This file may include:

  • High school transcripts;
  • Other college transcripts and evaluations;
  • Correspondence with the student;
  • Grade Change Forms;
  • Course Substitution and Credit for Prior Learning Forms.

Virginia Western administrators, faculty, and staff who need to see student records to assist in the student’s academic pursuits may have access to the aforementioned records. College personnel involved in institutional research may also be permitted to access records on a need-to-know basis. All others are required to have written permission from the student.

Eligible students have the right to inspect and review their educational records within 45 days of submitting a written request to the Records Office. This request must identify the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. Once the written request has been submitted and reviewed, the Records Office will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. Virginia Western is not required to supply copies of records unless there are specific, mitigating circumstances (i.e., great distance from the college) that prevent the student from reviewing the records.

34.1 Amending the Student Record

A student may challenge the college to amend a record believed to be inaccurate or misleading. The challenge may only address the accuracy of the information, any misleading information, or a violation of the student’s privacy rights. The college shall decide whether to amend the record as requested within a reasonable time after the college receives the request. If Virginia Western decides not to amend the record, the eligible student has access to the formal grievance procedures outlined in policy I-19. If, after the grievance, Virginia Western still chooses not to amend the record, eligible students have the right to place a statement with the record commenting on the contested information. Virginia Western must maintain the statement with the contested part of the record for as long as the record is maintained and disclose the statement whenever it discloses the portion of the records to which the statement relates.

34.2 Disciplinary Transcript Notations

  1. Students who have been suspended for, have been permanently dismissed for, or have withdrawn from a college while under investigation for an offense involving sexual violence under the college’s sexual misconduct policy will have a notation stating either "Suspended/Dismissed for a violation of, or withdrew while under investigation for a violation of Virginia Western Community College’s sexual misconduct policy" placed on the academic transcript.
  2. Furthermore, in order to alert other institutions of higher education of a student who was dismissed for exhibiting threatening or dangerous behavior, or otherwise has committed an act of misconduct, the college may place a statement on the transcript, which shall state, "Misconduct Dismissal."
  3. Prior to making any disciplinary notation on a transcript, the student shall be notified in writing of such action. The notation on the transcript would be part of the student conduct process and the student has the right to an appeal. Disciplinary probation, disciplinary warning or academic misconduct offenses will not be place on the student’s transcript. Disciplinary and academic misconduct records are stored separately and are available for release with permission from the student.

34.3 Student Information System (SIS) Records Indicators

  1. Virginia Western may place on a student’s SIS record an XTA service indicator when a student is dismissed for misconduct, exhibits threatening behavior, or is determined to be a potential threat. The college will use the XTA indicator only after a threat assessment team has made a determination that the student poses a threat to the campus community.
  2. The college may also place on a student’s SIS record an XIT service indicator when a student is under investigation for an act of sexual violence. If the student is found “not responsible” following an investigation, the college shall remove the indicator immediately.
  3. Prior to placing a service indicator on a student’s SIS record, the college shall notify the student that the service indicator is being placed on the student’s SIS record. Virginia Western shall explain the reason for the service indicator and give the student the right to appeal. The appeal will be a part of the student conduct process.
  4. When students who have been dismissed for misconduct and/or had a service indicator placed on their SIS record request that transcripts of their records be sent to another college, a statement may be placed on transcripts stating "additional information available upon request from the designated college official."

Related Links